Smokies Accomadation

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smokies Accomadation

I need more help from my travel addicted friends - let's face it, you are on this site, so it looks like you are hooked.

I'm taking my husband to the Great Smoky Mountains next May. We are planning to spend a couple days near/around Ashville and Biltmore. Then spend a couple days hiking in the Smokies.

My perfect accomodation would be a secluded cabin in the woods, situated perfectly half way between Ashville and the park.

I have a pretty wide price range, but don't want to go too crazy because we will be there a whole week - maybe around $150 - $250 a night.

I'm also open to B&B or hotels if we found the right one. We don't have kids or pets, so I was hoping to avoid the "family" type places, if you know what I mean.

I've started a search online and with TripAdvisor, but I'm finding the amount of places out there a bit overwhelming.

Does anyone have any favorites or places to start?
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM

We visit that area often & always use www.vrbo.com. You are more likely to find what you want on there, but you do have to look. I like the area just east of Asheville around Black Mt., Montreat & the Swannanoa area. Due to their close promimity to the Parkway. www.blueridgeparkway.org/ www.nps.gov/blri/ Waynesville & Lake Junaluska would be more the area you would be looking. There is a great Inn on Lake Junaluska, not sure about pricing, take a look @ http://www.selectregistry.com/ Enjoy!
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Check out Gracehill Bed & B'Fst (gracehillbandb.com).
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Check cabins in the Maggie Valley, N.C., area, there are many.

Hubby and I stayed at River Lodge B&B in Cullowhee, N.C., this fall for our anniversary. It's an hour from Asheville and 90 minutes from Cherokee, N.C. It's a beautiful property and the hosts provide a gourmet breakfast every morning.
http://www.riverlodge-bb.com/ We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Another unique lodging is the Balsam Mountain Inn, an old restored railroad inn. It's kind of rustic and the rooms look great. Hubby and I lunched there but did not stay, however, we were permitted to wander and peek in any room that wasn't occupied. http://balsammountaininn.com/ When we stayed at the River Lodge, a couple was headed to Balsam Mtn. Inn to use as a base for hiking for the remainder of the week.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Dancing Bear Lodge on the quiet side of the Smokies has very nice lodge rooms and cabins. The meals are very good. It was started by someone who was affiliated with Blackberry Farm.