Where to Stay in Western NC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to western NC over fourth of July. Would like to stay in a nice cabin either in the mountains or on a lake. Traveling with three daughters 16, 14 and 11. We want to do whitewater rafting, horseback riding, fishing, mining for gems and of course, do a little shopping. What is the best area to stay in for these activities? Thanks!
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 06:43 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Honestly, almost anywhere in western NC. Asheville or the towns around it and further away like Brevard, Waynesville, Sylva...

Check out vrbo.com for ideas.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 07:03 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I know nothing about this particular property, but the reviews are good and can give you a place to start -
http://www.vrbo.com/291348
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 07:47 PM

Some thoughts... Asheville will have a fun 4th celebration, and Biltmore is wonderful. The Grove Park Inn is also very nice, as are several B& Bs in the area. We also like the Highland
Lake Inn in Flat Rock, and going to the Flat Rock Playhouse. You should look at rafting through the nantahala outdoor center as they raft many rivers in the area. Finally, consider a visit to Linville Caverns. Have fun!
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 10:03 AM

What a great area to take your family! We stayed at the Lodge at lake lure and had a great time. Brevard is great little college town for exploring the waterfalls. I would be tempted to find something toward Black Mountain and then do some day trips from there.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 12:08 PM

I just found this site from a Groupon ad and am thinking about using them. They are far enough west to have the rafting that you want. I think for the mining you would need to go a different place. But it is close to the SMNP also, and there is good tubing.
I'd at least recommend this area. There are inns in that area also, but this looks good to me.
http://www.brysoncitycabinrentals.com/stream.html