Lodging in Grandfather Mtn, Linville, Banner Elk, NC area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a long weekend in late August for our annual anniversary trip driving up from the South. We haven't been to this part of NC (have been to Asheville and SW corner), so don't know where to stay here.

Plan to go hiking--maybe Grandfather Mtn, Linville Falls, or Beacon Heights, visit the parkway crafts center, what else? We love moderate hiking, nature, crafts, local arts and activities.

I'd prefer to find a place (motel, cabin, B&B, condo--doesn't matter) with a porch/balcony with a view or by a stream, not on a busy road, to relax in evening after hiking. Can be anything from rustic to modern if clean.

The options in this area are overwhelming! Where would you recommend for a quiet, modest (less than $150), woodsy location in this area? Specific property recommendations welcome as well as which town.

From previous postings Blowing Rock looks like a place we might drive into for shops and dinner, but not stay.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Checking vrbo, B&B and hotel sites, there appears to be plenty of vacancies in areas such as West Jefferson, Fleetwood, Deep Gap, Banner Elk and Beech Mountain.

Anyone familiar with Smoketree Lodge? It gets good reviews on Tripadvisor as a motel and has studios less than $100! I'm still tempted by one of the cabins, but it is so hard to tell if photo of view just crops off all surrounding houses and who knows what else.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 11:44 PM

Smoketree has been around a long time and should be quite nice still.
You might search on google for "high country NC" for a good area website.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback on Smoketree Lodge (between Boone & Banner Elk)
The others I have found available are:
1. Inn at Hawks Peak (near Hawks Nest Resort between Boone & Banner Elk,)
2. Chalet on Seven Devils (overlook Hawks Nest) for rent by owner
3. some round houses maybe in Linville development for rent by owner
3. Perry House B&B in Banner Elk
4. Banner Elk Inn

Any experiences?
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 05:21 PM

Hi Kay,

Several years ago while visiting family in nearby Bristol Virginia, my husband and I drove to Blowing Rock to check out Grandfather Mountain and stay at a local b and b. We stayed at the Gideon Ridge Inn in Blowing Rock and we were not disappointed. Blowing Rock is a very beautiful town and let me say people take pride in it. The Gideon Ridge is a little hard to find but the innkeeper can give you dirctions. We stayed in the French room (?) It was their least expensive but it met our needs. The grounds are on a hilltop and you are completely surrounded by trees. We left our windows open at night and we could hear the leaves rustling in the trees. It was so relaxing, we just loved it. One night was not enough, but we had to go back because our primary reason for coming was to visit family. You are probably 45 minutes or so from Grandfather Mountain, but going up there is worth it. It is breathtaking. Let me know if you need anything else.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 05:26 PM

Here ihttp://www.gideonridge.com/Pages/avail2.htmls their link:
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 05:27 PM

Let me try again.

http://www.gideonridge.com/
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I was originally shying away from Blowing Rock as I would like to be out in the woods or at least out of town and there seem to be mixed feelings about the town. However, a friend of ours whose tastes we usually agree with really likes the town.

I checked Gideon, but only the rooms costing over $200 are available.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:05 AM

Blowing Rock is a cute little mountain town--it is the town that Jan Karon's Mitford series is based upon. It keeps its VERY small town atmosphere--no fast food, etc.
That entire area has burgeoned in the recent years. Many quality places to stay. For Blowing Rock you might check Chetola--you might even find a VRBO. But I will say that your time is pretty close for finding budget stuff. That is high season for the High Country.
Any of the places you mention in your second post would probably put you in the country with nice mountain views. Distances up there are not great between the towns. Lots of good shopping also.
Hawk's Nest and Seven Devils would be woodsy. Smoketree is right on the main road and wouldn't give the same effect.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:37 AM

There are a lot of cabins and homes available for rent in this area, and I would definitely recommend that as a way to go. I recently did my own research on cabins to rent in the area, and found the following agencies:

Blue Ridge Mtn Rentals
http://www.blueridgerentals.com

Jenkins Rentals
http://www.jenkinsrentals.com

Valle Crucis Rentals
http://www.logcabinrentals.com

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:55 AM

I too am planning an August trip to the Asheville area and was looking at Bent Creek Lodge Bed and Breakfast. Does anyone know anything about it? Also, is it better to stay right in Asheville or outside.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:35 PM

The BEST cabins to rent, write to [email protected]. We rented from her and the accomadations were wonderful. close to everything. What a wonderful area.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:38 PM

Better yet, I just looked up the website we used so that you can view the cabins before you contact them
www.fergusoncabins.com
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 04:16 PM

What the heck is a "VRBO"? Brain's fried, can't figure it out.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Vacation Rental By Owner
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Just FYI, from someone who lives here, I would NEVER stay at Smoketree Lodge. There is a very nice hotel in Boone called High Country Inn, I would highly reccommend it. If you want really close to Linville, There is the Pixie Inn in Linville and the Pineola Inn in Pineola (about 5 minutes from Linville). Both are small but clean and good place to sleep and shower (less than 1/2 you budget). Chetola in Blowing Rock is beautiful but high budget. There is a Best Western towards Banner Elk but very conviently located.
Hope this helps. April [email protected]
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 06:48 PM

WHAT is so different about the Smoketree? And long years ago, I think we stayed at the High Country Inn. If you are going to recommend against a place I think you need to say why.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:37 AM

Getchen, Remoketree, As I said I live here, I know people who work there past and present, people in the kitchens, people in pool maintainence and people in property maintainence. I would NEVER stay there, enough said. You are more than welcome to reccomend it if you want. I do not, I have given some other options. I am not promoting any particular hotel or property, just giving a traveler a local's advice.
Another thing to consider with Smoketree is the location, right on 105 in the middle of Foscoe Hill. A very dangerous place to pull in and out of.
Happy Travels, April
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the advice. We had a nice time despite the season high temps.

We ended up renting a vrbo in Hawksnest golf/ski. It and a couple of others near Linville and Foscoe were cheaper than most of the houses/cabins for rent. We made good use of the deck for eating breakfast and dinner as well as the washer/dryer for cleaning up our hiking clothes, so I thought a house for 2 for 2 nights was extravagent, it worked well. Only complaint was the lack of air conditioning. It was almost always OK outside in shade with breeze, but house got hot by late morning and had to keep noisy fan going alot. We also didn't want to run back to the house during the day as it was a drive and climb up the hill--the tradeoff for being in a quiet place.

I was surprised at the busy dumptruck traffic on Hwy 105 and 221. So, although Pixie Inn, Smoketree and some others looked fine (I also saw Hidden Valley, but didn't like the looks of it), I think they may have been noisy. And I see April meant--making a left across 105 was difficult in many places.

We found the Lowe's grocery at the intersection toward Banner Elk and it satisfied our food needs.

The rangers at Blue Ridge were very helpful. We walked from the Linn Cove Visitors Center to Beacon Heights and back without seeing other people except at the viewpoints--saw lots of neat mushrooms, but trail does parallel road so sometimes noisy. We took the Green Knob trail--husband saw an otter at the little pond at beginning. Went around Price Lake and picnicked. Also up a ways past the boardwalks on Rough Ridge until dark clouds and thunder suggested we go down and chat with the ranger awhile. Also enjoyed a short visit and tour of the manor at Moses Cone Park.

We would like to go again and take the carriage trails in Moses Cone. I saw several people on horseback, but hubby is not very interested in riding. He would bike it though.

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:52 AM

I agree about the location of Smoketree--as I said in one post. I was just interested in why so I would be informed--I was not questioning your intentions. Kay, next time go on up to Beech Mountain for much cooler temps. It's a pretty part of the state. Glad you had a good time.