Is this vacation rental in D.C. metro o.k.?

Sep 27th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Is this vacation rental in D.C. metro o.k.?

Since you have warned us against renting an apartment in NYC, I will go on the safe side and ask you what you think about this rental in Bethesda:

http://www.vrbo.com/156323

It would be ideal for our multi-generation family of 8 adults from Germany.

I know, it is quite a drive into Washington, but we can live with that.

We have rented VRBO apartments before in Savannah, San Antonio, Santa Fe and Las Vegas and loved it. Hopefully, the above mentioned rental is equally good.

As always, thank you for your advice.
Sep 27th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Looks like a great house! Do u have an exact location in Bthesda? A street address or cross Streets. The metro RedLine is in Bethesda and u could be near that for tranportation to DC instead of driving.

Bethesda itself is a nice little suburb, lots of resturants and shops--not to replace DC, but some place you could easily got tointhe vening for dinner.

Ask for an address or how far it is from the REdLine metro at least.
Sep 27th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Well, I went to the Web site mentioned on VRBO that has the actual address, and it is in a very, very nice residential neighborhood, but you are not walking distance to anything commercial. You would have to drive into Bethesda to the Metro (and find and pay for parking) or drive into Washington (and find and pay for parking). You would have to drive to go out to dinner and drive to go to a grocery store. Providing you are fine with having to drive everywhere, it looks lovely.
Sep 27th, 2009, 12:35 PM

To yestravel, it is very close to the intersection of River Road and Wilson Lane.
Sep 27th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

The adress is 7530 CAYUGA AVENUE, BETHESDA, MARYLAND 20817.

I have looked up Google Earth and the neighborhood looks good indeed. Okay, we will try to get it if it is still available.

Thank you.
Sep 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM

I missed the address - Agree with artsbabe -- not really walking distance to anything and a nice residential, suburban neighborhood...so that's correct, lots of driving! If u don't mind driving into Bethesda, 5 minutes or so and paying to park on the streets and/or in a garges, that would be possible. There are lots of garages in Bethesda. U could do that and hop on the metro to get to DC. Driving into DC will take a good 30-40 minutes depending upon time of day and traffic. U can park in a garage in DC but it wont be inexpensive.
Sep 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM

I drive by there a lot on my way home, and that is technically Bethesda, I guess, but really far away from even downtown Bethesda. there are nice homes, there of course, but it's very rural suburbia. It will be lots of driving and lots of traffic, Wilson Lane has speed cameras, also, so I will warn you that you can get lots of tickets if you are not careful and you must obey the speed limits.

Depending on time of day, it might take only 15 minutes to get to a garage in Bethesda to park to take the metro. That will cost you a lot, though. You will not be able to park on the streets all day anywhere around Bethesda metro stop, there are time limits and permit requirements, so you'll have to pay.

It's definitely a nice neighborhood, though, if you don't mind the driving and garage expenses. If you drive to downtown DC, it can take a very long time due to traffic and then you'd have to pay a lot to park there all day, perhaps.
Sep 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Here is a link to information about municipal parking in Bethesda

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/co...ng/gallery.asp

Map of lots and garages:
http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/dp...da-lot-map.asp

The M in the center of the map is, not surprisingly, the Metrorail station.
Oct 5th, 2009, 09:22 AM

I have to laugh at the characterization of that area as "rural suburbia" as it has been decades since Bethesda was in any way rural. The point is that you cannot walk from the house to downtown Bethesda. But you should be able to take a bus there since Wilson Lane has bus stops. For going into downtown DC, there is also the possibility of taking the bus on River Road all the way to the Tenleytown metro on Wisconsin Ave, which puts you on the train a few stops closer than Bethesda to DC. Bethesda is a great urban suburban town and the area of the rental is a relatively quiet and safe residential neighborhood. DC is a great city with lots to offer. Enjoy your stay with us.
Oct 5th, 2009, 10:31 AM

laminmd- that description cracked me up 2! While a bus down River Rd To Tenleytown Metro stop might be an option, it would take a bit of time to get to Tenleytown. A quicker option might be 2 take the bus to the Friendship Heights Red Line metro stop.
Oct 5th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your insights. Yes, I know that it is in suburbia - but that's probably the reason why such a gorgeous house is affordable.

We will love spending some time at the house, buying supplies at a local grocery store (I bet we will find some excellent groceries in Bethesda!) and cooking for ourselves.

We do not mind the distance to downtown DC - we will either take the train or drive our minibus into downtown. It does not matter if it takes 5 or 15 minutes into downtown Bethesda. We will have time and can go on a relaxed pace (thanx for the hint to the speed cameras!).
Oct 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM

Sounds like a great trip. There is a Whole Foods Grocery store right up River Rd maybe 2 miles or so. Bethesda has the more tradiitonalgrocery chains in the area, Giant Food Store and a Safeway..less expensive than WF, but not nearly as nice produce, fish or meat. There is also a Trader Joe's on Wisconisn Ave that is popular. Depending upon when u r here, there may also be some nice farmers markets still set up.
Bethesda has lots of good restaurants 2. Enjoy your visit!
Oct 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM

FYI the speed cameras are before and after the areas where there are some private schools. So be sure to obey the speed limits around the schools. There is also one further east towards Bethesda, as I recall. However, the good news is they actually warn you in Maryland about speed cameras and have signs saying it is photo enforced. But people ignore them or don't pay attention. If you drive Wilson a couple times, you'll remember where they are and notice them by the road.