Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which place has canyon views at South Rim of GC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
TAW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
We want to stay in the park on our Spring 2010 road trip which will include the Grand Canyon. Right now it looks like there are lots of choices for lodging in the park since our dates are very flexible at this point. Which, if any, lodge/motel offers the best views? Or should I not even be considering that?
Thanks in advance for your input/advice!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 02:39 PM

There are four lodges lined up in a row, just steps from the rim. While two of them, Thunderbird and Kachina, have "canyon views", meaning the rooms face the canyon, you'll get far better views by going outside to the rim, and walking along on the Rim Trail.

These two lodges are "modern" and have all the charm of a college dorm built in the 50's. The other two, on either side, are the historic National Park lodges---rustic Bright Angel, with cabins and rooms in the lodge, and El Tovar, the grand old lodge. Not a luxury hotel, but the nicest there is the canyon. Some of the rooms face the canyon but at an oblique angle, so they don't sell them as "view" rooms.

I would choose by budget and what you want in the way of amenities. Rooms with shared shower at Bright Angel start around $73; cabins there are around $110-130. Rooms at El Tovar start around $200 (avoid the less expensive "terrace" rooms, which are below grand and very small). Thunderbird and Kachina are in between, at around $180.

There are also splurge-worthy suites at El Tovar, and a nice historic cabin at Bright Angel, for a price!
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
J62

I agree with enzian.

You will be spending so much time outside of your room right there on the rim that a canyon-view rim is somewhat meaningless to me.

All 4 of those lodges are literally steps from the rim. Even the 2 other lodges - Maswik and Yavapai are convenient enough that you can be at the rim or in the canyon from dusk till dawn.
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM

Whichever you choose, book quickly . . they fill up a year in advance sometimes.

We stayed at El Tovar a few years ago. We waited too late to book but kept calling daily on the trip and got luckey. The thing we liked more than anything about staying at the Rim was sunsets and sunrses in the canyon . . absolutely breathtaking.
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM

OOps! I meant to say that the Terrace rooms at El Tovar are "below grade". Probably also less than grand, but the point is that they are sunken---look out the window and your eyes are at ground level. They are also very small---fine for one, tight for two.
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM

Just another opinion and experience: we stayed at Thunderbird, in a second story room, and we loved it. It was very clean and comfortable, with a comfortable bed, good bathroom (not great, but good) and the room was a decent size. We had a view, and we saw an elk, and tons of small deer.

I know people say the rooms are soulless, but we thought it was plenty comfortable, and really enjoyed our two nights there.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 02:55 PM
TAW
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the info. I just booked Kachina Lodge for 2 nights mid May, 2010. El Tovar wasn't available except for the "below grade" rooms or the smaller double. So I opted for Kachina. I'm sure we'll be happy there. Thanks again!
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed at Thunderbird (non-view) Sept 12-14. My opinion is that, if you drive hundreds if not thousands of miles to Grand Canyon, and don't leave your room because it has a nice view, you're a fool. Conversely, the sheer proximity of the rim to any room in any of the lodges makes it exceedingly attractive to leave the room.
There are shuttles to take you to the (perhaps) 25 overlooks that are more than 500 feet from the lodges, with each overlook being unique enough that any view from a lodge would pale by comparison.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 10:13 AM

We stayed in the Kachina Lodge (rim view) in 2004 and have booked to stay again next year. We were only in our room to sleep, but there is something extremely pleasing about opening the curtains in the morning and being able to see the Grand Canyon from your bed!
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Bookmarking.