Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ouch! Washington D.C Hotel Prices - Stay on the outskirts?

Notices

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We're driving to Washington D.C April 13 and staying for 3 nights. The hotel prices I've found so far are outrageous - $300 range. Would it make sense to stay in Baltimore or Annapolis and drive in each day (after rush hour)? We're going straight to all the historical sites/museums (I believe it's called 'The Mall'). Is there parking? Are we crazy for even considering driving in each day? Any other ideas?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time we stayed in DC it was at Jury's Hotel on Dupont Circle. I believe we paid about $159/nt. on the weekends. Great place too!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Donna - do you know how you would get to the museums/sites from this hotel? Was is near the transit station?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's way to far away to stay and plan on going back and forth each day. Try hotels.com, expedia, hotwire, tripadvisor....I'm sure you can come up with a better deal. Keep in mind that there are many hotels along the metro line in areas like Rosslyn, Alexandria, Rockville, Bethesda that would allow you to have an easy metro ride down to the Mall area and not have to worry about parking.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, it was about 1.5 blocks from the Dupont Circle metro stop. Very easy top get everywhere, plus Dupont Circle area is funky and chic.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you search these boards for past discussions of Washington DC hotels, you'll find pleny of suggestions that are better than commuting from another city! Stay in an outlying area of DC, Arlington, Crystal City etc.; use a budget hotel or a budget booking site. I personally always use Priceline.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, the names of these outlying areas and dupont circle are great suggestions and then taking the metro. I'll start searching for these areas now.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mid April is prime season, most people booked at least 6 months ago (or much sooner).

I just did a quick check for your dates. 99% of all hotels are booked solid for 4/13-4/16. There are TWO acceptable options (I used www.capitolreservations.com) to check availability)... as of 8:30 AM TODAY!!!!

Currently. less than $150/night - subject to minunte by minute changes (probably upwards).

1) Quality Inn Iwo Jima (just across the Potomac River in Arlington).

2) Courtyard by Marriott Rosslyn (also in Arlington).

Good luck.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the Hyatt in Bethesda is right on the Metro - stop is in the basement!)there are also 5-6 Marriotts in that area (we use Priceline, 4 star hotel in Bethesda and ALWAYS get a Marriott for $55-65)relatives live there.... look at at Metro map and choose your hotel from that - or call hotels and ask how close they are to the Metro. Do not stay in Baltimore! There are tons of great hotels in the Washington/Va suburbs...
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DJCV - just to give you some perspective on why everyone is advising you against staying in Baltimore or Annapolis - TRAFFIC - Rush hour in DC area starts by 7am or earlier and doesn't end til well after 6pm. Your drive back and forth to Baltimore or Annapolis could take you well over an hour - on a good day. Also taking the metro is much more economical and hassle free than trying to find parking downtown. Another website is sidestep for hotel comparison's. I also like to go to the websites of the individual chains - you often get better deals by $5-10 and they sometimes list vacancies which the consolidators don't have.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 05:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bardo's right, you're too late to get anything other than rack rate if you can find anything central at all. I recommend you try priceline with reasonable bids. Staying in the outskirts and travelling in every day sounds awful to me.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DJCV - Don't get discouraged. I don't think the situation is quite as dire as Brian paints it. Yes, it is Cherry Blossom time right now which brings in tons of tourist but there are also LOTS of hotel rooms to be had. Nothing wrong w/ staying along a Metro line. Having lived in Silver Spring, College Park, Bethesda, and Rockville and commuted into Virginia and used metro regularly to go into the city it is painless and quick. It is hard when you don't have a clear picture of where things are so it will be helpful to look at a metro map and see if your hotel is near a stop or at least has shuttle service to a stop. I saw that Woodfin suites in Rockville has rooms for $139/nite and offers free shuttle service to the metro. Also looks like Holiday Inn in Bethsda has available rooms.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Old Town Alexandria -- it's a little ride on the metro into DC, but we loved coming back to Alexandria after a busy day in DC to a great town --- Would do it again in a minute....
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on what you mean by outskirts. It's a matter of degrees. I definitely would advise against Baltimore or Annapolis if visiting DC is a priority.

While getting a place downtown would my first preference, hopping a convenient Metro from Rosslyn, Bethesda, Alexandria, Arlington and a few other places is a decent option. I'd be a bit cooler on Tyson's Corner, Rockville, Gaithersburg, Dulles -- just because the Metro isn't usually as convenient.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:41 AM
MaureenB

Taking the Metro is key. Driving into the mall area is dicey and parking is ridiculously hard to find. If your fall-back plan is Baltimore, you can at least take the train from there to D.C. Probably a 45- 60 minute ride.

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can get the Rosslyn Courtyard for $150/nt (Bardo's message), I'd jump on it.

I've stayed there and it's nice. You can jump on the Metro (two blocks away) and it deposits you at the Smithsonian stop in minutes.

There is a Starbucks across the street and a gazillion restaurants in the area from Rosslyn to Clarendon. Very cool neighborhood. You can also walk across the Key Bridge to Georgetown. Again tons of restaurants, shops etc. Park the car and forget about it while you're here in DC.

kakalena
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Y'all have given me great advise! I've also found that if we change from arriving 4/13 to arriving 4/14 and departing 4/17, the hotels open up a bit, with better rates. There's something about the 13th that all the hotels are booked, it may be business travel, not sure. But once it's removed from the equation, I have more choices. I still think staying on the outskirts in towns you all have mentioned and taking the metro will save us money. Thanks for all the great suggestions. It helps a lot when you're not familiar with an area at all.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JoJo1 - if you happen to read this again....I ended up booking at the Hampton Inn in Alexandria - Leesburg Pike. I this where you stayed? How did you catch the metro from there? How far? walk? or if anyone else has any info on this property.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, you're about 4 miles from Metro. It's a tough time of year to find a moderate deal.

Holiday Inn Select in Bethesda might be better.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:12 AM
E

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep trying to get closer to a Metro stop--that's my advice. That 30 min walk to the Metro will get mighty old after you've spent the day on your feet in the city. Driving to the Metro can be a problem in that parking around the station fills up fast--by 7am some days. If the HI offers a shuttle to the Metro, that will help some...good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO