Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is the musical Chicago appropriate for a 10 and 12 year old?

Old Aug 12th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 10 year old daughter really likes dancing. Would Chicago be too grown-up for them? I'm trying to get tickets for a Sun. night show so the day limits our options. Also, I went on broadwaybox.com and tickets for 4 for Sun. night are $336. Is there any way to get them cheaper? The seats were Row E. Do you have to punch in the discount codes or does it automatically figure the price?
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 05:30 PM

I am not sure, but the story does revolve around murder, prison, and themes that may not be suited for kids that age.

What about Billy Elliot? It would be great for them.
Deb
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 05:54 PM

Despite the murder and prison aspect, Chicago is fine for your daughter. If she likes dancing, then she'll like the show. The only way to get the seats cheaper is to wait until you get here and hope that they are available at TKTS for half price plus $3 each. But, keep in mind, that there's no guarantee that they'll be available. You can't get these in advance, as they're only sold on the performance day. And, further, it would mean having to wait line to get them. You can save $7.50 a ticket on that broadwaybox office by waiting until you get here and then take a copy of the offer to the box office right away. How many days before that Sunday will you arrive in the city?
As for the recommendation Billy Elliot, it is certainly a good choice. However, if the $336 pricetag is high, then forget about Billy Elliot, as that show is not discounted and would, thus, cost a lot more.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 05:59 PM

Is Stomp still around? It was great fun when my kids were that age and loved dance.

Another good one for that age is Blue Man Group. No dancing, but fun.

Both should be far less $$. I am assuming they are both still in town.
Deb
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:21 PM

To check on half-price tickets, search TKTS and you can find what was available the previous few days. Chicago was available on Sat. Aug 8. It is a fabulous show...no doubt.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. We arrive Sun. about 1pm. Would the theater still have seats if we went to buy the tickets then (with the broadwaybox coupon)? Do they take credit cards? I read that the TKTS booth only takes cash.
I did check on Billy Elliot but didn't see any discounts.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think that Chicago would be fine for the 12 year old but maybe a bit bawdy for 10 year old. Agree that it's a great show. The film was rated PG 13
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:13 PM

I just saw the touring company do this show last night! LOVED it! There ARE references to "copulating" in the who's the father of the baby part of the plot, and there is a little rough language. With kids their age, it could go either way and depends so much on them, what they have been exposed to, how aware they are of more mature themes...it could go right over their heads, or you could be answering questions for days, see what I mean? It's a terrific show, one of my faves for sure, surprisingly timely even today.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM

"Chicago" is one of our all-time favorite Broadway shows. We've seen it countless times.

I'm really conservative about what kids should be allowed to see, and I think anything "objectionable" in this show would sail right past your children. The music and dancing are outstanding!

My recommendation would be to check for discounts at Playbill.com, Theatermania.com, etc., and book your seats in advance, for the best seats. Tickets are almost always available at the TKTS booth, but they will be leftovers and seats may not be as preferable.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 08:16 PM

The language in Billy Elliot is a bit rough and is incorporated into several scenes and songs. I'd really consider the personality of the child before I made a blanket recommendation for it.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 03:08 AM

"In the Heights" has a Sun. night performance and I think is more appropriate and has GREAT dancing. I wouldn't wait til you arrive to get 4 tickets. I'd buy with broadwaybox discount and pay the extra transaction fees to know you have tickets. If you're fairly certain of your arrival time, many matinees have 3 pm curtains on Sun. and that opens up other options for you.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 03:29 AM

While there is a chance that tickets will still be available when you arrive, there's no guarantee!
As for your question about credit card, both TKTS and the box office accept major credit cards.
No, you won't see discounts for Billy Elliot anywhere. I'd stick with your original choice of Chicago.