Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to Second City with Young Teens in Chicago?

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was getting ready to book tickets to the Best of Second City in Chicago when I saw that it has an R rating. The children are ages 12, 14, and 17. Can someone explain if the show would be ok for this group. Is the R rating due to language (F word used a lot) or is it more to do with the topics (sexually explicit, etc).
Thanks!
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM

Call the box office and ask... these shows are not always the cute sketchy things you see on TV... they will advise you on the suitability of the material... good luck!
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 05:55 AM

Not appropriate for a 12 or 14 year-old. I'd have no hesitation taking the 17 year-old.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 05:56 AM

About 3 years ago, we took our kids (aged 13 and 17 at the time) to "The Best of Second City" in Chicago. I did not think it was inappropriate for them and don't recall much in the way of F-bombs or sexually explicit content in that particular show. (That meaning, I wasn't covering their ears and they weren't embarrassed to be there with their parents.) Of course, the show you see may be different in those respects from the one we saw. I think your two older kids are clearly OK for a Second City show, but the appropriateness for the youngest would depend on the show itself, you and your child. It can't hurt to call the box office, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you something similar.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:02 AM

I just saw their touring company in Madison with my 18 year-old. I would draw the line between 17 and 14, for sure. Certainly there will be material inappropriate for a 12 year-old. Language and contentwise, it is a show for adults.

I would highly recommend Blue Man Group for all ages, though.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 08:47 AM

I would also add a lot of the Second City content is political in nature, jokes about political/economic current events. If your kids aren't into this sort of thing they may not get the jokes and be bored.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM

Agreed. I went a couple of years ago; there was some strong cursing and double entendre. It depends on your family, of course, but I wouldn't take my 12-year-old. (Being realistic, it's not as bad as what I heard at my public high school in the 90s, but that doesn't mean I'd pay to take my kids.) bniemand also makes a good point - the show we saw was called "Between Barack and a Hard Place" and had a good bit of political/events humor. I found it funny, but a 12- or 14-year-old, maybe not.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 09:47 AM

I agree with the above posters that it is not for children.
If you are looking for a comedy show that IS appropriate for the whole family, look at http://www.comedysportzchicago.com/.

It's improvisational comedy fine for the family and it really is funny. Here's how their website describes it:

ComedySportz is the longest running short-form improv show in Chicago. Now in its 22nd year! It's not stand-up comedy about sports...it's improv comedy played as a sport! We're also known for corporate training and corporate entertainment, improv classes and as a great place for any group celebrating a special occasion. If you like great comedy improvisation, visit our theater, the ComedySportz Theatre.

We took the kids a few years ago, with a friend, and we all enjoyed it, whereas we definitely would not have taken them to Second City.