Reload this Page >

is security stealing?

Search

is security stealing?

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2003, 03:57 PM
rj

is security stealing?

Two close friends just flew roundtrip from ABQ into Laguardia on Continental. When they returned from their fun trip to NYC one of them found that their new bottle of perfume had been opened and removed-- the empty box was left, and the other friend had a new pair of Prada eyeglasses which were missing from the case. They are both filing claims with the federal security officials who had left a note in the suitcases which said that they had been opened. They also said that all cosmetics were opened and were put back in a sloppy fashion causing leakage all over the cases. This is upsetting. Does anyone have an opinion about this? I'm all for security but better screening of their employees might be in order here.

Old May 14th, 2003, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An opinion?
Yes. Things like that are bad.
They should not happen.
On the other hand, for every 100 or so $10.00 an hour bag check personnel, you're going to find one or two who succumb to temptation. It probably happens daily at various airports across the country.
Remember the person of royal standing (British?) a few years ago who had all the exoensive jewelry stolen from her suitcase by a bag inspector?
Old May 14th, 2003, 04:20 PM

Just a suggestion but:

1.) Pack anything of value in your carryon. It is opened and searched, if need be, in front of you.
2.) Pack any cosmetics in a waterproof make-up kit and again, put it in your carryon. Again, if it needs to be opened, it will be done in front of you, and lids can be re-adjusted by you prior to boarding if need be.

I never pack anything I would be extremely upset about losing in checked luggage. I have a sizeable enough carryon that I can put my jewelry, camera, cosmetics and a couple of favorite outfits in it.

Putting expensive or potentially-messy items in checked luggage is asking for trouble (as your friends just found out).

I learned this lesson the hard way after a cap was not put back on a full bottle of aerosol hairspray, and the entire can "discharged" all over and ruined a couple of items and the suitcase.
Old May 14th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Lola

This is really too bad and I feel bad that we must trust these people and they don't live up to that trust.
Because we should all know this by now-I always carry jewelry, sunglasses, perfumes,camera- anything that I must carry while traveling, in my hand bag or carry-on. This way- the worst thing that can happen is that some jerk will have my clothes or shoes that are easy to replace.Where is ABQ?

Old May 14th, 2003, 06:01 PM
rj

Hi Lola;
ABQ is Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Old May 14th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Lola

Hi rj
of course it is!
I can never figure them out! Thank you

Old May 15th, 2003, 06:55 AM
GoTravel

Why on earth would someone put a pair of Prada sunglasses in their checked luggage? I also never put anything of any value in my checked luggage.

Old May 15th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Not meaning to be insensitive here, but why on earth would anyone NOT put nice purchases (especially little things such as perfume bottles and sunglasses) in with their carry on? Sorry, but I don't have too much sympathy for your friends' situation. I never pack anything in my checked luggage that I would regret having stolen. Be mad about maybe, but not regret. There are dishonest employees in all jobs and those out of sight of the public are probably more apt to do things they're not supposed to. Unfortunate, but true.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:37 AM

As the other posters have said, your friends learned the important lesson of not leaving valuables or messy items in checked baggage.

I would be more likely to blame the airline's baggage handlers than the federal screeners. I have also had checked baggage opened and rummaged through (pre-911) by airline baggage handlers. I can say from personal experience that the TSA federal screeners had to go through too much training and background checking to resort to petty thievery on the job.
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:05 PM
rj

Just for the record I never put anything of value in my checked luggage either. I have traveled by air a great deal over the past 35 years or so and have never had anything stolen from my suitcase. I was just surprised by their story. I have also never known anyone to have anything stolen out of their luggage until now.

I hope the story mainly serves to warn those who are not travel savvy about what not to put in their checked luggage.

Old May 15th, 2003, 06:22 PM

Theft from checked locked or unlocked luggage as been happening since luggage was invented. Years ago I met a United baggage supervisor. He said that checking anything valueable in your luggage, was then same as leaving your suitcase unocked and unattended in the middle of the airport. He said that they can cut off the locks faster than you can open them with the key or combination.

The one time that my lock was removed and any thing was taken, they took .... Scout's honor .. cigarettes and the Hubba Bubba Grape bubble gum that my friend's kids in London had asked me to bring. What a time I had trying to collect from the airlines. They wanted receipts - from the supermarket. They wanted to pay me half of what the items cost because I had none. I asked him if they would rather that I had put in a phoney claim for an expensive leather jacket for which I could produce a receipt? After numerous telephone calls, to and from the airline claims office, I finally got my $17.76 but only after my boss signed a statement that the items were taken.... as if he was there and saw what I had packed ;-)
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:54 PM

Thefts of items from checked luggage is rare, though not unheard of. Luggage personnel are generally way too busy and also supervised than to have the time to bother with perusing the contents of your luggage for items worth stealing... And, as others here have noted, most folks know to bring their "valuables" with them on the plane. Nearly everyone brings an extra fold-up tote for their purchases and brings that along with them on the plane. I know I'd be WEARING my newly acquired Prada eyeglasses, not storing them in my checked bags. I find it highly unlikely that anyone would bother to open cosmetics in their original packaging. I'm just wondering why any baggage handler would be interested in a new bottle of perfume...
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:18 AM

I had a bottle of Michael Kors perfume taken from my luggage on trip somewhere between JFK and Paris on Air France. It was only about $70 so I didn't think to carry it on. I don't know if they thought it was a security hazard or if they just wanted to give to their girlfriend.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:28 AM

Although theft will probably always happen to a certian extent, just remember not all screeners do it. My better half works at SFO as a baggage screener and has come home with items that were not allowed through (a pool cue and a giant swiss amry knife). The pool cue she mailed (at her expense, the owner later reimbursed her) to the passenger's family, the knife was picked up at our house by the passenger's father. Just remember, while there will always be some bad seeds, others are out there willing to go above and beyond to help people out.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:57 PM
Jed

We just went from PHL to SFO. In SFO, we found that my wife's pillow was missing. I can't imagine anyone wanting her pillow, so it is more likely that it just fell out. When we got back to PHL, I asked the TSA prople if there was a lost and found. They denied that anything could actually be lost from their inspections and was told to file a claim. I doubt that I will be reimbursed adequately. Has anyone filed a claim and had results? #39;(
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 09:46 PM

TSA screeners are fired if they are caught taking anything, even if it is contraband. All things that are confiscated are distroyed.