Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus/Luggage/Personal Electronic devices

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone!

I've been reading on here and it seems that the one thing you can count on with Aer Lingus is that nothing is the same across the board.

Ok, I am the obsessive type and I need to know two things.

My basic carry on, which I took to Ireland last time with Continental (price kept me away from them this time) is like 4 inches longer than the aer lingus guidelines. I have read on here that they don't ususally check very closely, but I CANNOT, repeat CANNOT have my carry on checked and have it delayed. I am going to a conference on the day I land I have to have my luggage.

2. I have an IPOD. I have read on here that aer lingus is allowing stuff now, but things in write mode you cannot. ALso wireless is not allowed You can write to an MP3 player, so I wonder if I can take that, and my noise reduction ear phones are not wireless, can I use them?

Sorry for the length!

Debra
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:35 AM

If your carryon is oversized, there is a chance they'll put it in the hold. If you CANNOT do without something in it (and it appears that you CANNOT), you'd better have a backup plan.

Such as: carry a smaller lightweight bag that will contain your vital stuff so you can shuffle it at the counter if they won't let you carry the larger one.

The prohibition of "write mode" is not against the devices, but their use. I can bring my laptop which has a CD burner, but I can't burn a CD in flight. Your headphones are okay. The list of approved stuff is here: http://tinyurl.com/dqk9n
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 02:19 PM

Sounds like it would be worth it to you to spend the money on a new bag that meets the requirements. Then you'll never have to worry about it again.

No worries about the IPod and the ear phones, just turn them both completely off when the announcement is made.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

I bought a bag of the right size yesterday. I put the stuff I needed to carry in it and the weight was 4 pounds over their max. I can't win for losing. I'll take my chances since I have the right size and shift around stuff if I have to before I get on. I am paranoid about them losing my checked bags when I have a conference to go to the day I get off the plane. Thanks for your input
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:52 AM

Glad to hear you've got the new bag. I've flown Aer Lingus for years and have never had my carryon weighed.

If worse comes to worse, you can always cram 2 kilos of luggage in your purse, pockets and jacket. Now. if I ever see a woman boarding a plane with shoes, books and "delicates" exploding from her purse, I'll realize she was a victom of carryon enforcement

Have a great trip/conference.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Now there was a visual I could do without!!! That will be me!!

Thanks Debra