Luggage Advice for Upcoming Trip

Nov 10th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Luggage Advice for Upcoming Trip

My husband and I are leaving for Buenos Aires on Wed on American Airlines. Included in our trip is a flight to Mendoza via Aerolineas.

We've packed light, as we always do, and I'm wondering if there are benefits to taking two carry-ons rather then one larger piece of luggage. Or is it just as well to check a bag and have only one to deal with in and out of taxis, etc.

We've visited the Aerolineas site regarding luggage requirements for carry-on and checking, but we're a bit confused.

Advice from previous travelers or locals is appreciated!
Nov 10th, 2008, 07:22 AM

American's rules say one carry-on plus a "personal item," which is interpreted to be a purse or a laptop computer bag or something of that size. Anything else or anything bigger they'll expect you to check.
Nov 10th, 2008, 08:03 AM

If the two of you can manage with what you can pack in two carry-ons, I would most certainly do that
Nov 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Whenever we can we travel with only carry on--one great advantage of this is that if you have to or want to change flights or deal with delays, you will be allowed on a different flight--airlines will never schedule you separate from your luggage--so once it's checked through you are limited. One full sized carry on each and one personal item--which can be a tote bag sized purse if you don't carry another handbag has worked for us.

If I did check one large bag I'd still want to carry on at least one or two days worth of stuff--if the luggage goes astray you are covered. One bag may also get to heavy you couldn't manage it and could go over weight restrictions--My Vote--as light as possible and all on board with you if you can!!!
Nov 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

AV Rooster - my husband and I have been following your comments and suggestions since you're the expert - he specifically hoped you would jump in to help!

We'll be going with 2 carry-ons - and rinsing out occasionally.