Search

Ugh! Luggage!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh! Luggage!

On my first trip to Europe I took my trusty large sports bag. I had packed about 4 pairs of pants, about 8 shirts, and 1 pair of boots. Needless to say, I ended up leaving some of my clothes in my hotel in order to make room for my gifts I had bought while traveling.

One part of my brain sees a carryable bag as better than one that is on wheels. But the other side of my brains sees how uncomfy it was carrying the huge bag, how people looked at me funny because of my large bag, and how it didnt have enough room for the clothes I needed for 7 day trip.

Well, I am going on another trip..this time 12 days total and am considering getting a large bag with wheels....

What has been your experience with the wheeled luggage? Part of me worries that a wheel will come off when it is going down the airplane conveyer belt, or that I will look a little awkward being on the large side myself and pulling behind me this large bag.

Anyone have any good suggestions on bag types? I will have to say that I am on a budget, so bags over 70 bucks is a bit much for me. It doesn't have to last my lifetime, but at least a couple of trips would make me happy.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have been using a 22" light wheeled suitcase from the Christmas store for $25 that I purchased two, ten years ago that I check.
I carry on a light leather weekender from Longchamp as a carryon.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Hi Mimi...ahh yes, the Christmas Tree Shop Birthdaygirl...Do you have a TJMaxx or Marshall's near you? I have found great luggage there in your price range. Just look at a lot of them and I think you will see some that you like better than others. It depends on what works best for you and what you like. An expandable 22" or 24" holds a lot, is not too big and will make your travels a lot easier IMHO.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Hi there, oh yes the "what luggage ?" problem, lol. Here is what I would do if any of these stores are in your area. Check out Ross, Marshall and TJMaxx. People have reported having good luck on EBay too but I don't know how the prices are.

Most people seem to manage with a 22inch bag (you can checkin that one) and then a carryon for the plane. Do check the measurement and weight requirements of the airline you are flying on.

Here is my thinking regarding a carryon with wheels. You have to put it in the bin above you. I personally prefer to put my carryon under the seat in front of me (carefully so I don't disturb the person in front of me). I put a small bag inside the carryone with my documents, financial stuff like CC, ATM's, cash etc. Take that with me if I leave my seat.

The suitcase I have has rollerskate wheels. I was told if anything happened to the wheels you can get them replaced anywhere. I don't know, as I have dragged that suitcase everywhere and so far the wheels are just fine.

Do make sure your carryone will fit over the handle of your checked bag so when you are walking with it you will be at ease. P.S. The way I put that small bag in my carryon means that when I am in the airport I am not carrying a purse which is very convenient.

Also, something I have picked up here is that some people put a soft sided folded up duffle bag in their checkin luggage. When they get ready to fly home they put all their dirty laundry etc. in the duffle bag. And nonbreakable purchases can go in your checkin bag along with anything you originally had in your carryon bag that you will not need flying home (not documents, financial stuff, cash etc. that would go back in the small bag in your carryon). Then you should have room in your carryon for any breakable purchases.

Hope this helps. Oh, I have known people that have purchased luggage at Target and have been really happy with it so that is another place you could check out. Best wishes.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:18 PM

I've had my Eagle Creek Adventure Pack (http://www.eaglecreek.com/adventure_...ef=hp&t=mn) for seven years now and I love it. It works for a weekend or for two weeks. I personally hate wheeled luggage...its loud, cumbersome and takes up too much space on the ground. There's nothing worse than being stuck behind someone wheeling a suitcase behind them! I think its more important to pack well than to get a larger suitcase. Also, no matter how full it is, my bag always fits in the overhead compartment, so I hardly ever need to check my bag and don't have to waste time at the baggage claim.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:20 PM

The Samsonite 4-wheelers are awesome, but a bit pricey. See if there is a Tuesday Morning near you. They have luggage.

http://www.tuesdaymorning.com
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:29 PM

birthdaygirl --

http://tinyurl.com/nqkvc

I've had good luck with Ebags close-outs. Check out the URL I posted above and there are many high-end bags on sale within your budget and offering free shipping.

Have fun!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I am definately checking out that site and the local Marshalls and Target as well!!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Yikes!

I think that the bag I was carrying on my last trip had dimensions of 32x14x14...and that wasn't enough room!!!

And I do remember my bag being at least 2 feet long easily....

Yikes!!!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Hi,

I always bring either a nylon type duffle bag or a heavy-duty drawstring bag and carry it in my 22 inch wheeled suitcase. When it's time to come home, I put most of my clothes in the drawstring bag and all of the goodies I buy in the suitcase.

Have a good trip!

Margy
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:34 PM

I have decided that on my next trip, I am not taking luggage or clothes..I wil bring a small carry -on with toiletries and a change of whatever..when I arrive, I will shop.
Then the day before we leave, I will ship it all home
Brilliant, aren't I?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:38 PM

LOL, Scarlett, except for one fabulous outfit for the first day of shopping (we do not want to shop in our clothes worn on the airplane LOL) I always thought that would be absolute paradise!!!