Questions about camping in or around Bryce NP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm finalizing trip plans for next week, and need advice about camping in the Bryce area.

We will leave Zion around 2pm, then have 3 1/2 days to drive to the Cameron Trading Post in Arizona. On the way, we'd like to visit Cedar Breaks, Red Canyon, Bryce, Kodachrome, and Cottonwood Road down to Kanab.

It sounds like we might not find a spot at a campground in Bryce if we get there late in the day. I'm wondering about Red Canyon as an alternative. Has anyone on this board camped there? If we make it to Bryce in time to choose campgrounds, which do pople like best: North, or Sunset? (I think I've go the names right.)

We will also check at the Bryce Canyon Lodge for last minute cancellations, since I get the idea that the Bryce campgrounds aren't that great. Is this true?

Would it be worth it to break camp and stay in two or three different places for the 3 nights we have? I'm guessing we can break camp in 20-30 minutes.

Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

P.S. This will be tent camping.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:55 PM

Hi travellyn,

There is camping at Red Canyon but we've never camped there. There is also camping at Cedar Breaks but we haven't camped there in over 20 years! Another place to find camping is Kodachrome State park and I believe they have showers there.

You might consider staying one night at either Cedar Breaks or Red Canyon and then move to Bryce early the next morning. It's been a while since I camped at Bryce but I think both campgrounds are about the same. There are pay showers in the park.

Also, you do realize that Cottonwood Road is a dirt road and shouldn't be done if it looks like rain or if it recently has rained a lot. Also from what I've heard there is no cell phone service there so make sure someone knows your driving that road the day you do it. I've never been on that road but I really want to try it someday.

Utahtea
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Utahtea! We knew to check on conditions before driving Cottonwood Canyon Road, but hadn't thought about informing family as to when we'd be taking it. I'll be sure to email our itinerary to a couple of people.

This trip will be the first one I've planned based a LOT on information from this site. Before, I just got an idea here and there. This time I'm trying several suggestions. I'll post a trip report when we get back.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:12 PM

travellyn,

I'll be looking forward to your report!

Utahtea