Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Trip report continue-Las Vegas,Zion,Bryce,Page, Grand Canyon,Sedona,Phoenix.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our trip was May 14 th-May 26th.this year 2007.
From Zion we drove through park to Bryce canyon.Drive takes about 2 hours.Bryce canyon took us about 3 hours,very nice.We did not do any hike and just drove through.You have to see amphiteater.It is closer to park entrance.Higher elevation than Zion,so trees are different and it is also a bitt cooler.Remind me Europe.
From Bryce around we drove to Page.We used navigation from Dollar rental car.I was suprise that after we exit Bryce ,navigation took us to the right to Escalante,instead of left what AAA recommended.So I tought that there my be some road which is not on map,but navigation system usualy knows the way better.What was our suprise when we found out that about 20 miles later we are entering dirt road(not paved)through dessert in Escalante.Now we suppose to drive 44 miles through dirt road where is no phone signal.
After couple minutes we decided that we are not comming back and we will make it through(we had Toyota Maxima van,no 4 wheels drive)
I have to say that this state road 400 is one of the most scenic road what we have seen on our trip.We just could not enjoy it so much because there was realy dark cloud on the left side and as everybody know there is potential for flash flood.So we drove realy fast,also in sand dunes you can get stock too.On the way we met one indian in big truck and he assure us that this road ends close to Page and there is no fallen rocks in our way.We took some pictures about 10 miles before we exit this road.After we exit this road there was sign stating -Do not enter this road unless you tell somebody,bring lot of water and don't enter if there is rain in forecast.There was no such a sign from other side.When we made it through i was glad we took this road and did not have to go from Bryce back torse Zion.
In the afternoon we arrive to Page.Stayed at Marriott.Afternoon we did Horshoe bend and next day we did Antelope Canyon.I initialy wanted to do Rainbow bridge on Lake powell or raft on Colorado river but nobody was up to it.So we would be fine just with 1 nite at Page.
Next day we drove to GC south rim continue..
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
jilkovina: It would be better if you kept your trip report together on one thread. Just post each instalment as a reply on the original thread. Otherwise they will get get separated and folks will have to hunt to find them.