Irish music in Boston pubs

May 18th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Irish music in Boston pubs

Fairly new in the Boston area (Watertown). So we've explored some eateries and such. My question is this: are there places that have Irish music? Especially Cambridge, Somerville, Newton, Belmont, Waltham areas, i.e. easier to get to from Watertown?

Thanks
Bill
May 18th, 2011, 01:18 PM

The Green Briar in Oak Square in Brighton has Irish music. It would be super easy to get there from Watertown.
May 19th, 2011, 05:21 AM

Burran in Davis Square, Plough and Stars on Mass Ave in Cambridge.

Pick up the Phoenix and check out listings, both ads and the weekly listings.

Once you get into the scene, you may be able to get on a mailing list that will tell you about the less publicized stuff -- someone's uncle from PEI at the local Hibernians hall. There are fanatics in Boston for every kind of music, you just need to find them! One place is to listen to Brian O'Donovan's Celtic music ong WGBH. He can't pronounce Scottish names worth a damn (Brian, it's "Doogie" MacLean, not "Duggie" Maclean) but he is into the scene and will certainly keep you informed about what is coming up.

I assume that from your screenname you might be interested in "Hillbilly at Harvard" on WHRB every Saturday morning. It has been on since the 70's, and they announce all sorts of obscure country and bluegrass performances in the Boston region.
May 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM

If you're interested in traditional Irish fiddle music then I'm not sure. Maybe Doyle's in Jamaica Plain? You can give them a call to find out and they might have other suggestions for you. But most of the Irish bars, at least in Cambridge, have music. The aforementioned Plough and Stars, Toad on Mass Ave in Porter Square (mostly folky music - Toad is small and it can get very crowded), Phoenix Landing in Central Square and The Thirsty Scholar in Somerville close to the Cambridge line. Those are the ones I'm familiar with. I'm sure there are many others.
May 19th, 2011, 08:58 AM

There are tons of Irish pubs all around Boston and at least 1 night a week they have traditional Irish music. I've been to a bar in Wakefield which is right outside of Boston, called Harringtons. They have Irish music and even step dance some nights. Great place, but might be a bit of a hike for you.
May 20th, 2011, 09:48 AM

In Somerville, www.burren.com has great traditional music seven nights a week.
In Waltham, check out www.theskellig.com also has nightly Irish trad, bluegrass, etc.
In Watertown, the CanadianAmerican Club on Arsenal Street has great Irish, Scottish, Cape Breton music through the year. I know that Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann (Irish Musicians Association) meets there several times a month.
In Boston, Black Rose Pub has live Irish music every night.

A good web site to check out Irish cultural stuff is www.IrishBoston.org.
May 20th, 2011, 10:50 AM

Yes the Black Rose has irish music! Awesome experience there. The place was jam packed but lively.
May 20th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Ackislander, sharona and all...thanks for the tips. Seems you know the area. A question...how do you change your screen name...wish now to be Boston Bill than ozarksbill.
May 21st, 2011, 07:44 AM
cw

Bill, I don't think you can just change your name, you may have to reregister with the new name. You could ask at [email protected]

Another suggestion for music is Brendan Behan's Pub in Jamaica Plain in Hyde Square. I don't think Doyle's has music on any regular basis.
Mar 24th, 2012, 04:29 AM

Another great website for Irish music in Boston is http://www.dustywindowsills.com/.

It has an events calendar for concerts and such, and a page of sessions listed by the night of the week.