Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Zion & Bryce beginning of March - Best itinerary?

Mar 3rd, 2012, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Will be staying at the Lodge next weekend in Zion, returning to LV to fly home on Monday evening. What should we not miss? Can do short to moderate hikes. Hubbie wants to fish and has already been told of river/stream to fish in. If there is snow, might want to do some skiing - Cross country and/or downhill. Planning on Bryce as a day trip, so what is best to do and/or avoid? Also, any good side trips off I-15 on way from or going back to LV?

Thanks all. Can't wait for your input.

JJ
Mar 4th, 2012, 07:58 AM

I think Brians Head is your only option for downhill skiing?? It sounds like you only have a few days and staying in Zion isn't really convenient for skiing so skip that and focus on the short/moderate hikes.
Mar 4th, 2012, 07:59 AM

JJ,

One day Zion, one day Bryce, end of weekend. What amount of time do you actually have?

Do you have reservations yet? Spring weekends can be very busy at Zion/Springdale.

There is great skiing at Brianhead (a bit over an hour from Zion). Ruby's just outside Bryce Canyon Park rents snowshoes and skinny skis, but call ahead.
Mar 4th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

We should be arriving Friday afternoon and leaving Monday afternoon for the drive back to LV.

Thanks for the ski info - will keep that in mind. Weather of course will help us decide if to go at all.

Was thinking of Zion hiking Friday afternoon, dinner at the lodge, and then either Bryce for the day on Saturday or Sunday. Assume a full day should be allowed for Bryce?

Thanks all!
Mar 5th, 2012, 05:15 PM

It will be a four hour drive to and from Bryce from Zion. I would take the Canyon Overlook trail on the way there. Trailhead starts after you leave the tunnel, just park. Morning is a good time for it as you will be looking west. Spend as much time in Bryce as you feel you need. It is a small park and can be seen comfortably in a day.
I'd forget the fishing and hike in Zion on the other day-- but then I'm not a fisherman. But if you fish the next whole day, you'll have another half day for some hikes in Zion.
FIrst night Riverside walk in Zion would be good.
Canyon Overlook on the way to Bryce
In Bryce start at Navajo and end on Queens Garden trail for a great loop
Full day in Zion take on Angel's Landing.
Mar 5th, 2012, 11:53 PM

We just spent the day in Bryce as a day trip from Zion and there isn't a lot of snow this year. They say it's a very light year for snow. Driving time was 1 hour and 45 minutes. We didn't have to wait at the Zion tunnel. The Navajo - Queen's Garden loop was open today. There's a sign recommending wearing boots and you better believe you need them. The trail is very muddy in sections and also a lot of mushy ice. They are expecting 3 - 5 inches of snow on Wednesday, so no telling what the trail will be like next week.

We walked along the rim between Sunrise and Sunset and there was some mushy icy patches but we had hiking boots and didn't have any problems. We also did Bryce Point. These are my favorite spots as a day trip. We did drive to Rainbow Point and made a couple stops.

Angels Landing hike was suggested but it is not a moderate hike! Riverside Walk is a good hike and it was open yesterday.

Utahtea
Mar 6th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help all - really getting excited about the trip. Any helpful suggestions about the Zion Lodge? I see to bring a flashlight and that there are meals always available. Does Springdale have a market for snacks, etc., to keep in the room? What restaurants in Springdale can anyone recommend - good and/or bad?

Thanks again for all your help! Really helps in packing the right things to bring. And yes, camera is #1!

J Joel
Mar 6th, 2012, 05:58 PM

J,Joel,

Springdale has a grocery store now called Sol Foods. They also have a much smaller market right near the entrance to Zion.

I ALWAYS eat at Zion Pizza and Noodle, in the old green church on Main St. Really great pizza and pasta, plus they now take credit cards. Amazing! They used to only take cash!

The Switchback Grill is also good.

I personally had a very bad dining experience at the Spotted Dog, but lots of other people like it. People also like Oscar's, but it wasn't my favorite, as I'm not a burger and fries person (they do have other things).

Yes, it's a very low snow year, but at least we have been getting some lately.
Mar 6th, 2012, 08:29 PM

If you have time on your way back to Vegas you could stop in at Valley of Fire State Park. It is worth a couple of hours to explore, interesting petrioglyphs, beautiful rock formations, CCC cabins etc.

Enjoy Zion and Bryce.
Mar 7th, 2012, 11:07 PM

If you are coming from Las Vegas you will pass though Hurricane and there is a Super Walmart and Lin' grocery stores. We like to stop at the Farmers Market in LaVerkin which is just three miles past Hurricane before driving the last 20 miles to Zion.

We just got a dusting of snow here in Zion last night but it was melted early in the morning. They are predicting some really nice weather for the next week!

Utahtea
Mar 7th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - Looking forward to snow and sun!!! Thanks for all the tips. And especially to all you regular posters for Zion/Bryce. All your posts have been really helpful. Got boots, warm weather gear and some shorts & sunscreen (being on the hopeful side there). Anyone we talk to says we will love our stay.

Will send a report when we get back.

JJ

P.S. We made our dinner reservations for the lodge on Friday night - can't wait to enjoy the sunset in such beautiful surroundings as we enjoy dinner.
Mar 10th, 2012, 11:18 PM

I've been wearing shorts on our Zion hikes the last two days so J_Joel is having warm and sunny weather!

Utahtea
Mar 23rd, 2012, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Hello all - Yes Utahtea we did get a chance to enjoy the warm and sunny weather - definitely t-shirt weather in the middle of the day. In fact, we were blessed with really great, warm weather our whole trip through, but still cool enough early mornings/late evening to keep that beautiful fresh snow on the top of the rock formations. We did many of the hikes in the Canyon - the shorter, easier ones. No not Angel's Landing but we did make it to the top Emerald Pool which still had snow in the back crevice.

And we made it to Bryce - lots of snow there but was still sunny and nice. Just did the drive through and short walks at some of the scenic pull outs. Took lots and lots of pictures.

Going just before the winter season ended worked out great - the lodge gave us buffet breakfasts as part of our "winter" package and we enjoyed the hotel room and our pretty little balcony looking out at the hillside and rocks (we chose the back side rather than looking out over the parking lot; so glad we did that as it was so much more peaceful).

We would like to go back when it's warmer. Want to do the Narrows and hubby wants more time to go fishing. We just didn't have enough time to fit that in cuz we didn't realize the Virgin River wasn't for sportfishing!

Great place, Utah! First time there and we will definitely find a way back down the road. Thanks again everyone for all the great advice!

JJ
Mar 24th, 2012, 04:55 AM

Could post photos? Haven't been there in snow and would love to see the parks white.