How many nights for Zion and Bryce?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide on how many nights to give to Zion and Bryce.
If we stay 2 nights in each, it would mean that we would be in Bryce in time for the sunrise the next morning and have 1 full day in Bryce.
If we stay 3 nights in Zion and 1 night in Bryce, we would drive to Bryce in the early AM, hike, then stay the night. No sunrise.
My biggest concern is weather...if weather is not on our side for Bryce, then we would regret not staying longer in Zion. Also, I always hear that Zion is just amazing and needs the extra time, even if it is just an extra night. What's your opinion?
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 04:41 PM

Perhaps I should point out that it would be possible to get up for the Bryce sunrise on the day you leave Bryce.
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 06:51 PM

What weather concerns you? At this time it is hot and summery in both places.

How much time you need depends on how much you want to hike.

Zion is a spectacularly beautiful place and my favorite national park.

I have been to Bryce three or four times, but I've never hiked there. A friend of mine, however, tells me every chance he gets that hiking in Bryce is a great experience.

If you book a room at the Best Western at Bryce Canyon, you can cancel by 4:00 pm on the day of arrival without penalty.

HTtY
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 07:53 PM

Http

Yes hiking in Bryce is a must do! Being down among the hoodoos is an entirely different experience.
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 09:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
You could easily occupy yourself for two days in Zion.

Bryce is a lot smaller and really a sunrise at Bryce Point and Navajo Loop going down and Queen's Garden back up will give you a good taste.

If you're concerned about giving yourself a good chance for a sunrise in Bryce and want to give it an extra morning, you can either use the morning you leave as Dayle suggested or give it an extra day and after sunrise drive over to Willis Creek and do the easy hike in a slot canyon.

Willis Creek is about 10 miles below Cannonville that's about 20 minutes east of the Bryce entrance.

Cannonville has a visitos' center where you can get driving instruction to Willis Creek.
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 09:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>we would drive to Bryce in the early AM, hike, then stay the night. No sunrise.
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Seeing the sunrise the next day is an option. I should add that the next day will be a long one. We plan to drive from Bryce to Antelope Canyon (aiming for 12pm Navajo tour), then see Horseshoe Bend if time allows, and then continue onto Grand Canton South Rim. I was under the impression that to accomplish all this, we would need to leave Bryce super early, before sunrise. What do you think?
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 04:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>What do you think?
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 07:41 AM

>> I always hear that Zion is just amazing and needs the extra time, even if it is just an extra night.
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info, everyone! We are so looking forward to this trip. We have decided to stay the extra night in zion because cable mountain lodge looks so amazing. We will make up the time in the am.