Search

zion or bryce?

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zion or bryce?

If time is limited, which park would you recommend? Also, how many days would you recommend to see a park and is there any central location to stay to see them both or are they too far away from each other? Has anyone rented 4-wheelers around the area? What do you recommed? Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:19 AM

I prefer Zion although Bryce is pretty spectacular. I say it depends on how much time you have. If at least a full day, then I say Zion but if you only have 1/2 a day, then I say Bryce because you'll see everything you need to see at Bryce in half a day (it's a smaller park and has one main feature). I just did a trip report with pictures (click on my name to get to it) and was at both places. You notice Zion at the beginning and end of our trip. If you have a full day, I recommend doing the Narrows hike.

It takes about 2 hours from Bryce to Zion depending on traffic. It gets more congested at Zion by Mt Carmel tunnel because everyone driving that is too busy looking around them to drive at a decent speed. Can't say I blame them but that's just a fact.

I don't think there are atv's in the area (Could be wrong, of course). There's plenty of those in the Moab area (canyonlands/arches) and I don't know where a good middle point is. We stayed at Bryce overnight and got up early to drive back to Zion which was very doable but if I had to choose between the 2 (tropic for Bryce or Springdale for Zion), I would choose staying at Springdale. More stuff to do - main street is nice. Has alot more restaurants, etc. In Bryce, there's only Ruby's Inn and it's entirely too touristy. I don't think the little town of tropic in main street gets much attention.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I was just looking at your pictures before I read your response. There beautiful! I definetly want to do the narrows hike! It will be my husband and I and our 2 older teenage kids so I think we shoud be able to see alot. Was there any deep water and also is there a slot canyon down there? I thought I read that ther was along this hike!
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:40 AM

I really enjoy both parks, but go to both fairly often, as I live in UT. You don't say how many days you actually have and when you are going.

Hiking down among the hoodoos of Bryce is a wonderful and beautiful experience that many miss if they just look over the rim.

I would recommend a minimum of 1 full day at Bryce, preferably staying in the park at the lodge. Get up early to see the sunrise!

Zion a minimum of 2 days. There are many great hikes besides the Narrows. Angel's Landing, Observation Point, Canyon Overlook to name just a few. The Narrows does get narrow enough to be called a slot canyon, but there are many in the area. Go with a local guide company if you are adventureous and athletic hikers. Most will require advance permits.
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:25 AM

If you only want to stay in one location, then I'd choose Springdale, Utah. It's at the entrance to Zion and the views there are fantastic! The day you visit Zion you won't have to travel very far. You can easily make a day trip to Bryce from Zion.

If your time is limited, I'd forget the 4-wheelers because you won't be able to use them in either of the parks.

Utahtea
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Yes, Zion.
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:50 AM

wanted to add that half a day (or in our case arriving at 3:30pm) at Bryce was enough time to hike down sunset trail, up a bit to navajo loop to where the rock slide was that closed it, back track back to the junction and head over to queen's garden and hike up to sunrise point then get to the overlooks of Bryce, paria, inspiration (and of course sunrise and sunset since we hiked down and up it). We stayed the longest at inspiration point - the third farthest point for the sunset. Just to give you an idea of the time frames and I'm not at all a fast hiker.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone! I'm having a hard time finding a hotel in Springdale that is not booked already. I'm wondering if I call personally if it would help. Do you recommend anywhere else to stay if Springdale doesn't work? We also were thinking of doing a float trip at Glen Canyon Dam in Page,Arizona. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? We have 9 days but we're using 2 of them for Las Vegas. I just don't want to cram too much in.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:57 PM

try calling. it won't hurt. springdale is best but how about the east entrance?
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:28 PM

Gaila,

You still have not given us the slightest clue as to when you are going. Southern UT does require some advance planning. It's a very popular area.

There are lots of choices for Springdale, very few for Bryce & Tropic.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:29 PM

I visited both parks several summers ago and spent 4 days in Zion and 3 at Bryce in one week. I love to hike and could easily have stayed longer- especially in Zion. Zion is fairly hot in July - I recommend starting your hikes early in the morning - my two favorite half day (or less) hikes were the narrows and angel's landing. I was tent camping at Zion, but the park lodge is in a beautiful location in the middle of the canyon on the shuttle route and looked nice. Bryce canyon was much cooler (you are on top of the canyon looking/hiking down into the park instead of the opposite at Zion) The hoodoos and sunsets there are terrific. Take plenty of water for hikes. The park lodge at Bryce was a great spot for breakfast.
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

We are trying for the third week in June. We want to see Zion,Bryce,do the float trip at Glen Canyon Dam and spend 2 days in Las Vegas. We may need to add another day or eliminate something.
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:07 PM

I've done the 1/2 day float trip on the Colorado River out of Page, AZ. It was amazing and so much fun. My pictures:

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/pages...2003/float.htm

I've heard that a new concessionaire has taken over the float trips this year.

You might keep calling the Zion Lodge and hope to catch a cancellation.

Utahtea

Old May 10th, 2007, 12:48 AM

Both parks are so completely different.Bryce is unique.You should do the combination hike Navajo trail-Queen's garden trail.Take a full day.Paul
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:27 AM

I vote for Zion, too. And the Narrows.

I've also done the Page float trip - it is a very leisurely float.

One of the very best slot canyons I've seen is near Page - Antelope Canyon, which I'd recommend you see if you're in the area.