Zion and Bryce in two days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're staying in Zion for two nights in early June, and wondering if it's worth the four hours of driving round trip to go to Bryce for the second day. Or should we just spend two days at Zion? If we drive to Bryce for a day, would it be worthwhile to do an afternoon horseback ride in the park? (With kids 11 and 13).
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:49 PM

We spent one and half days in Zion last summer. We started in Kanab Utah, drove into the east entrance to Zion and through the tunnel to the lodge. Went on the Weeping Rock and Riverwalk hikes and were back at the lodge by 2:00 pm. We lounged around until after supper and took the hike to the first emerald pool. The next morning we went horseback riding and then left about noon for Las Vegas. If I had to do over, I would have spent the first half of the first day in Bryce and skipped the Riverwalk hike. That hike was a little too long for my kids (9 & 12). They loved the horseback ride, so I'm sure yours would too whether it is at Bryce at Zion. Some might say you can't see both parks in two days, but I would rather see a little bit of a lot of places than a lot of one place
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 07:38 PM

It doesn't take long to see Bryce Canyon, unless you take a horseback trip down among the formations. Bryce is spectacular at sunrise and sunset, though. Time your travel to be there at those times. Skip Bryce Canyon during the midday.

Zion and Bryce are both just the "tip of the iceberg" on a part of the Colorado Plateau, which runs all the way from Arizona through southern Utah to Colorado. You'll want to come back many times to see other sections of the rim of the plateau that are equally scenic.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:21 AM

Bryce is definitely worth the visit. Last year we first went to Zion, traveled through the tunnel, and then on to Bryce. Spent the night at Ruby's Inn. An okay place for the price. As another person said, seeing Bryce doesn't take that long unless you take the horseback ride, but it is spectacular. We thought it was much more beautiful than Zion, although we enjoyed Zion also. We drove into Bryce early in the morning as the sun was coming up (this was in October so it wasn't so early in the morning) and it was incredible. Definitely more beautiful that being there during the mid-day.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:29 AM

I was on a tour visiting both Bryce and Zion, and loved Bryce! Don't skip it! It's very different from Zion, so delicate and lighted up compare to Zion! If I could go again to only one of them I'd definitely pick Bryce.