how long is "enough" for Bryce NP

Old May 27th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

how long is "enough" for Bryce NP

I have planned 3 nights for Zion and 3 nights for Bryce. Some people on this board have said that in their opinion 3 nights is too long for Bryce. What do those knowledgable people out there think? (We are goin in AUg. ) We do like to hike but at the easy to moderate level. The summer heat will probably be a limiting factor. We will be going on to TOrrey for Capital Reef
Old May 27th, 2005, 10:21 AM

It's so hard to say which area will be someone's favorite. People usually have a BIG preferrence when it comes to Bryce and Zion...I'm a Zion person, but still I could easily spend two full days at Bryce. One day for the drive to all the scenic locations and a walk along the rim between Sunset and Sunrise Points. Another day spent hiking into the canyon. Byrce will be cooler than Zion because it's at a much higher elevation. Hike early in the morning to avoid the afternoon heat.

The day you leave Zion, you can spend much of that day in Zion and spend time in the Checkerboard Mesa which is after the Zion Tunnel as you leave the park. This way you get 2 1/2 days in Zion.

Utahtea
Old May 27th, 2005, 10:23 AM

If you did get bored with Bryce you could always make a day trip to Kodachrome State Park which is nearby.

Utahtea
Old May 27th, 2005, 10:49 AM
elr

having returned a few weeks ago to the area, and asking the very same question (though for a day trip), I want to stay that Utahtea is absoulutely correct, people have BIG preferences. In my case, I adooooored Bryce, and was left completely and utterly cold by Zion.

We had one day, so did a lot, half in one park, half in the other. If I had it to do over again, I'd take 2-3 days in Bryce and skip Zion.

I don't know if this helps any, but just wanted to let you know the prefernce issue is really a large one.

have fun. (and, I neglected to thank the fodorites here for help on my trip, so will do that now!)
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:28 AM

If you are a moderate hiker, one FULL day in Bryce is sufficient. We drove to most of the overlooks, did the Navajo/Queens Garden hike, & the 3 hour mule ride in one day.

We spent 1.5 days in Zion but we only did the easy to moderate hikes/walks/strolls there (although we did do the Canyon Overlook Trail on day 1).
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Two nights are enough for Bryce, but it's hard for me to understand the concept of boredom in a place so special and unique.

If you're lucky to be there on the full moon, definitely get up early in the morning to sign up for the full moon walk (something we wouldn't have managed to do if we hadn't been there for three nights).

Re: Bryce vs. Zion, Bryce is somewhere you have to go at least once in your life; Zion is the kind of place I could see going back to over and over.

I know not everyone gets it, but the first time I went I didn't really get it, but the second time I stayed at the lodge and it made all the difference. Hiking the narrows (at least as far as to where the true narrows begin) was an amazing thing to do, especially in the summer (lots of shade and cool water that you'll be walking in). And spending a few nights so you can explore the extremely varried scenery in the area is well worth it.

IMO

Jim
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Jim,

My DH didn't really like Zion the very first time we went either. I think it had to do with the cold weather and the fact that it was snowing when we arrived...get this on Memorial Day Weekend...this was 31 years ago! BUT now Zion is his all time FAVORITE! He keeps wanting to go back again, and again, and again and it doesn't matter what time of the year or what the weather...go figure! I on the other hand have always loved Zion.

Utahtea
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

I think that since we have the time, I will leave the 3 days for Bryce. This way we can take our time getting there and still have two full days. There is so much near by that I doubt we'll run out of things to do.Thanks so much to all of you.
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:55 AM

zaksgrandma,

I hope you come back and give a FULL trip report!

Utahtea
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:26 PM

Having just returned Sunday from both, and having the girls vs the guys split on their favorites, guys loved Bryce, and us girls loved Zion....... Utahtea hit it dead on that it is impossible to predict someones favorite, but I agree that 2 days in Bryce is enough. There are other activities other than hiking to keep you busy there however, there is horseback riding, there are helicopter trips, ATV trips, and Ruby's just started their wkend rodeo's. The Red Canyon is another nice area to explore close to Bryce.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

I've certainly asked enough questions of all of you-- the least I can do is report when we return! (Which won't be until aug. 12) Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate the time you have taken to answer all my questions. All reservations have been made:

Fly into and out of Las Vegas
3 nights at Bryce (Buffalo Sage B &B in Tropic)

2 nights in Torrey (Austin's Chuck wagon)

3 nights at Zion at the Desert Pearl

One as yet unplanned night-- maybe Vegas or Page or the North Rim. We decided to "hang loose" on that last day/night.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 10:57 AM

Hi - we were there in April and are avid day hikers. We felt that Zion is more a "hikers" park and we just loved it. Will definitely go back. We loved Bryce, too. How could a person not love Bryce? It is totally unique. However, as hikers, we were done after two days. Kodachrome and Red Canyon offer some great hiking and are near Bryce. The visitors center at bryce has tons of info and maps for those parks. You will love it no matter what you do. sue
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 10:58 AM

Sounds great.

Be sure to try Cafe Diablo in Torrey!

http://www.cafediablo.net/

Also, for some ideas about your last night and other possible stops, here's a website I found helpful:

http://www.so-utah.com/hwy12/homepage.html

Have a great trip!

Jim
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:56 AM

On your way through Boulder (just past Escalante on Rte 12) try to have a meal at Hell's Backbone Grill. It is an incredible place. The restaurant is located at the Boulder Mountain Lodge. Very memorable place with awesome food and staff! Cafe Diablo in Torrey is also great. We loved it! Have a great trip. Sharon