Suggestions for Jazz and Blues Clubs in Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 01:23 PM
lisa

Hi,

Can anyone suggest some really good jazz and blues clubs for us to go to in Boston, while we are visiting there?

We will be there for 6 days, so we'll be able to try out more than one.

Thanks for the help! Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Jacqui

There are many great jazz and blues clubs in the Boston area- however, I'm not into that scence. Go to www.boston.com, click on the Arts and Entertainment link for a review of all the clubs and upcoming shows.
Have fun!

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Paul

All in Cambridge: The House of Blues; Regattabar in the Charles Hotel; Scullers in the DoubleTree, and Ryles in Inman Square, for starters.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Sandra

Lisa,

Harper's Ferry is a blues club - I think it's in Allston.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 12:50 PM
xxxx

Wally's on Mass.Ave. is a great club you won't want to miss. It's been there forever. Wally just passed away a few years ago, but was a fascinating character, involved in the civil rights movement, etc. Many of the jazz/blues greats have played here, and, since it's right around the corner from Berklee School of Music, it gets both established musicians and students on some nights. The Boston Globe did a big feature on him a couple of years ago. It's a very small place, usually packed to the walls with a ethnically and socially diverse group. Yuppies hip to hip with the local gang element. However, it's a very safe place; people are there for the music, not to make trouble. Go to Bob the Chef's (right across the street from Wally's) for southern bbq for dinner and live jazz, then head over to Wally's around 10:00.

Another great place is Harper's Ferry in Allston (part of Boston). Big place, great live music for dancing.

The other places mentioned in this post are good places, too, although I'm not a big fan of Ryles. I always want to like it, but I've been consistently disappointed. Note that Scullers and Regattabar are more more "upscale" -- people may shush you if you talk during the sets.

Have a great time!

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found this thread while doing a search. Since it is 2 years old, does anyone know of any new clubs come on the scene? I have company coming from out of town who want to go to jazz clubs and I dont' have a clue. Thanks
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 04:15 PM

Here's a website to check http://www.acme-us.com/detail/boston...ive-blues.html
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:39 PM

Two weeks ago we saw Christian McBride at the Regattabar in the Charles Hotel in Cambridge. The band was great! It is a little upscale (only $18.00 for tickets, but my 1/2 liter of Evian was $5.00). The crowd was mixed (college kids to seniors). Found info on line at www.charleshotel.com.