Reload this Page >

Intercontinental, New York

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 06:28 AM
max

Has anyone stayed here that could offer an honest opinion. I hear they've done a costly renovation in the past couple of years, and the hotel discounters rate it highly. Is it too good to be true? Thanks for any help.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 06:48 AM
Frank

There are 2 Intercontinentials in New York, I assume you are talking about the Barclay on Lexington and 48th Street. It has undergone an extensive renovation which was completed about 3 months ago. The public spaces are beautifully maintained and the lobby reminds me of the St. Regis. It's a great location, and the Intercontential chain is generally top notch. You won't go wrong.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:25 AM
Chris

This info is for Barclay:
My husband and I stayed there last Christmas for several days. Most of the good outweighs the few negatives.

Mid-size hotel so you don't feel too lost. Beautiful lobby. Great staff.
Room decor was plush. (Everything looked new.) Located in central location but in more of a business neighborhood.(Quiet on weekend.) (Across the street from the Waldorf Astoria and couple of blocks east of 5th Ave. and Rockefeller Ctr.) Couple of breakfast cafes across the street (cheaper eats).

Negs: Small room and very small (but nice) bathroom. Bathroom had poor lighting.

R/Chris

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 11:27 AM
max

tahnk you, for $189, I think I'll keep my reservation.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 08:15 PM
joe

M

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:25 AM
lisa

$189 is a great rate for that hotel at this time of year. From Sept to the end of the year, NYC hotels generally go up in rates -- average is usually $200+. You can't go wrong at the Intercontinental for that price.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 01:05 PM
Eva

I too am interested in this topic as I have reservations there this month. Priceline--$99. It seems to be coming up around that price on the biddingfortravel site lately.

Also if anyone is interested the Hilton Towers are showing up around $100 for many dates in Nov. --location-wise I wish I had gotten that.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:00 PM
max

Eva
On Priceline, is it considered a 4or 5 star? and what neighborhood?

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:10 PM
Eva

To Max: It is considered a 4* and from the reviews I have seen thus far it seems quite nice (of course we have all been fooled by reviews at one time or another). The renovation seems to be very recent so that is a good sign.

The neighborhood is Midtown East -- 48th between Park & Lex. Nice area right across from the Waldorf. The price is right. It has been coming up for around a hundred bucks which suits my budget!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:51 PM
Leslie

I stayed at the Intercontinental Barclay for 3 nights over Columbus Day weekend ($110/night - Priceline bid). I had a gorgeous room, never wanted to get out of the bed, it was so comfortable, and had great pillows and a beautiful comforter. Everything is top notch at this hotel, and there's a tunnel to Grand Central Terminal a 1/2 block from the hotel (protects you from the cold and bad weather).

Join the Six Continents Priority Club. You won't get any points if using Priceline, but if an upgraded room is available, you will be put in one for free. Otherwise, the additional perks are a free NY Times each morning, and one free pay movie (about $11, which is a rip off if you pay for it).

Only drawback to staying at this hotel, is that its tough to get a cab when its raining. So, walk over to the Waldorf Astoria and hail one from there.

One other nice thing is that if you check out early, but need your luggage held so you can sightsee until you leave NYC that day, the hotel provides this service for free.