The Westin New York Times Square

Feb 20th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

The Westin New York Times Square

Has anyone stayed here lately. Going in mid March to celebrate daughters birthday(16).
Any positive or negative feedback. Booked a deluxe room for 4 nights. Location and room opinions would be great.........Thanks
Feb 21st, 2004, 05:18 AM
Rob

Location is fine. It is on 8th Avenue between 42nd and 43rd St. Entrance is on 43rd ST. It is in the heart of the theater district. If you do a search you will find a couple of comments about the hotel. It is new and has been open less than one year.
Feb 21st, 2004, 06:08 AM

Hi Madison,
If you do a search on www.tripadvisor.com you'll find lots of feedback on the Westin New York Times Square (all of it good.) Enjoy your trip.
Feb 21st, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I did read the comments on tripadvisor but thought I would get some opinions from some fodorites........
Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:26 AM

We stayed there in December and have no complaints. The beds and linens were wonderful; the service was good, although we didn't do much except check in and out as far as the staff is concerned. I thought the bathroom was the most inconvenient hotel bathroom we've ever used. There is literally no counter space; the sink looks cool, but I would have preferred a counter on which to place all my things. The outlet for a hair dryer or curling iron was across the room from the mirror, so the cord was stretched over the toilet every time I or my daughter was using one of the appliances. I also got really tired of feeling like a six year old every time I used the toilet because the toilet was so high, my feet wouldn't touch the ground. (I'm 5'4") It's a silly thing, I know, but after 5 days, it was tiring.
We stayed there because we got a good package through Hotwire and because of the location. We could walk easily to most of the places we wanted to see and the subway was about a block and a half away. We really liked being close to 7th Avenue which has tons of ethnic restaurants, nothing fancy, but quick and good.
I would stay there again ONLY if there was a really great deal on the price. We would prefer to be further away from Times Square in the future.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:29 AM

I just reread my message and realize I contradicted myself. I meant to say we have no major complaints.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:09 AM

Stayed here last MArch for 2 or 3 nights. The hotel itself is decorated very modern. Our room was roomy for a Manhattan hotel room . MOstly decorated in white black and gray. We were forunate enough to be on a corner so we had 2 views. The staff was curteous. THe location is great. The bed was very comfortable. I th ink you made a great choice.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

gaffannie, salgal thanks for your comments. I originally had The Benjamin and The Michelangelo but changed to The Westin from all the positive comments from the tripadvisor site.
I still think I made the right choice?
Is this place that close to Times Sqaure and does that make it a problem??
Feb 24th, 2004, 08:22 AM

The hotel is about 2 blocks from Times Square. I wouldn't say the location is a problem; we just got really tired of the shoulder to shoulder people on the sidewalks every time we stepped outside. Keep in mind, we were there right after Christmas and the weather was unseasonably warm. I think the NY crowds, even for Christmas, were larger than normal because of the weather.
The location is actually very convenient. Noise was not really a problem, although we were awakened by sirens at night. I would not change the reservations at this point. Have a great time!
Feb 24th, 2004, 09:41 AM

We had no problem with crowd when we were ther in MArch. Especially on 44th ( I think that is the street where the entrance is). IT is only 1 or 2 blocks up to Broadway from there.
Feb 24th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

gaffannie, salgal: Have either one of you ever stayed at The Michelangelo? I still have rooms booked there, waiting to cancel. Would this be a better choice with location service or street noise.
Feb 24th, 2004, 09:07 PM

I would stay at the Michealangelo over the Westin any day.
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:00 AM
smj

Patrick, just curious,why? I've never stayed there but was considering it for a future stay with my family. The pros and cons are always helpful for me. Thanks.
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:37 AM

Maybe I spoke a little out of turn since I've never stayed in the Westin. But I stay in an apartment about two blocks away. Frankly the area the Westin is in, is still the tackiest of the areas around Times Square. Across Eighth Ave., you're looking and passing by a whole row of peep shows and tacky NY souvenier shops.
But mainly I figure the Westin is like any other Westin -- nice and comfortable -- but plain and "commercial". What I love about the Michelangelo is the feeling of a small elegant "European" style hotel. We were there only three or four days and they greeted us by name almost every time we entered. The rooms are old world elegant -- with really nice furniture, bedcoverings, draperies, and decor. It just seems so much more individual and classier than the usual Westin, which could be a Hyatt, which could be a Marriott, etc.
Feb 25th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Patrick: Thanks so much for your reply.
Somehow I had my doubts about this area even though the hotel itself is brand new. The Michelangelo seem to fit more our style. I called today to re-confirm our room and the staff was very helpful in trying to make our stay comfortable and memorable for my daughters birthday. Any great restaurants nearby not to miss. We are going to see Hairsray on March the 17th
any pre theatre suggestions for a light dinner??

Search this Thread