Reload this Page >

Air Travel deadline 11/1 /02 10:59P

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:58 AM
Ginny

I have 2 reasons for posting - 1)is to share with you a story and 2)to ask for advise.

Bought a "restricted" ticket from DFW to Honolulu for about $550. The restrictions are that if you do not travel on your ticketed day then you must call AA with new dates, pay the difference if there is one and a $100 penalty. Sounds reasonable to me so far.

Well yesterday morning I ended up in the hospital, received a note from the attending doctor that I could not travel for 7 days. This morning I called AA to let them know what happened. One representative, 2 supervisors and a customer service representative for the office of the President later; I was told the standard rules and regulations apply even after I explained to them the extenuating circumstances.

Now I have 3 options ?

1) Travel 8 days latter pay $100 change fee plus the fare differential of $600, for a total of $700 over the original ticket cost of $550.
2) Take a chance and choose a date some time in 2003 and hope that the $1200 fare will be discounted prior to departure and receive flight coupons as a credit.
3) Just chalk up my losses of $550 and never use American Airlines again.

Would like to hear from anyone who had a similar incident and how you handled it.

Thanks.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:42 AM
No Brainer

Ginny,

You purchased a highly restricted ticket with all of the details well documented.

It's not the fault of the airline that you became sick. You probably should have purchased travel insurance that would cover your loss.

Don't blame the airline. Their policies are well publicized. I have no connection to any airline.

I just can't believe people blame the carriers for their own problems. Learn to read and understand the rules.

No Brainer

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:04 AM
Barbara

Sorry to hear about your illness. I wouldn't just take the loss, either pay the extra and go or get the flight coupons. I'm sure you'll be sorry if you don't because you are angry. No doubt they will have discounted fares in 2003. If however, you don't want to wait, pay the extra and go now. Don't let your anger rule the situation.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:04 AM
Metoo

As the exact same thing is happening to me as we speak (I should have been on a plane this morning...), I can tell you that it isn't an AA "bad customer service" kind of thing...my tickets are with US Air.

I agree, we have to know the rules when we get the airfare...it's a drag, but it's the way it goes.

MY complaint is the fact that I was given a deadline of tonight at midnight to rebook it---or I lose it. I don't mind the change fee, I understand having to pay the differential on the ticket...but can I maybe get a week to think about it, fellas? I mean, there wasn't a single esaver from my city this weekend...I would have gone anywhere, I swear! Not to mention I could have almost covered my change fee from the money I saved on the new ticket. Gimme a gift certificate, an IOU or something and I'll spend it later!

Oh well!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:51 AM
Ann

Why do people complain when they buy restricted tickets at a deep discount, fully knowing and understanding the restrictions, and then can't use the tickets, that the airline should have done more for them? If you don't want any restrictions, then pay full price. It's very simple.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:56 AM
xxx

So you got a RESTRICTED TICKET and want to figure out how to undo the restrictions?

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:19 AM
danna

Is everyone aware that these are very new rules? Until a few months ago you could change a restricted ticket at any time within 1 year for the fee. Now you have to make the change prior to scheduled take-off.

So as I now understand it...if an 18-wheeler flips on the interstate and I'm still parked there when my flight leaves, I have just lost the entire value of my ticket. poof!

I think with a little more time, a lot more travelers are going to find out how draconian the new policies can be. I'm hoping that one of the airlines will revert to the old policy, grab lots of market share, and force all the others back in line. Yeah, I know, good luck.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:30 AM
xxx

Yes Danna, that will happen. I think it is a rarity that something legit happens with a restricted ticket.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:32 AM
Dee

People will lie and say anything to change a restricted ticket until you ask for proof. I am a superviser at on of the majors and I can't tell you how many times my life has been threatened, I've been cussed out, blah blah blah. Just don't lie to me.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:35 AM
xxx

Just some info for in the future- had you purchased your air tickets through a Hawaii consolidator like Classic Custom Vacations or Pleasant Holidays you would have been able to change air dates with no penalty as long as space was availible. Did this last summer.
You should check their rates for next week but it may be too high now.
If that was not possible I would choose your second option and book for 2003.
Do not blame American. Just about every airline has this policy now. You have to realize the airlines are billions in debt and have to be tighter with their restrictions to stay in business. Would you rather they go under and cease flights Dallas-Hawaii all together? They've already cut over 100 routes.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:42 AM
collette

Ginny, I'm sorry this happened to you. wht a bummer. It bothers me that some people answered you with a "what do you expect" tone. It's not like your ticket cost $50.oo- I had a similar problem- US Air, FORCED to cancel trip cause my husband just lost his job. They wanted me to rebook within 24 hours as well. I told them I didn't even know for sure where I would be living in the future. Anway, I did get a nice supervisor and explained that I had booked my ticket before they changed to this more restricted rule so I now have a year to reuse ticket, plus paying penality etc.

I think it is right for people to complain about these very very restricted rules... airline service has certainly not improved over the years although prices keep going up, space keep getting less and you and me, the hapless tax payers just forked over lots of money to bail them out. I think they could give a little in circumstances like yours!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 12:09 PM
No Brainer

collete,

You are not very well informed.

"although prices keep going up, space keep getting less and you and me, the hapless tax payers just forked
over lots of money to bail them out. I think they could give a little in circumstances like yours!"

Airline prices are the lowest they have been in years and years. Tax payers have not spent one cent bailing out the airlines. The Federal Government has "guaranteed" loan backing, not making the loans. Major difference. If some bank "loans" the airline money, the government (with tons of strings attached) will guarantee the loan, maybe.

People should read more than the headlines before making statements and decisions. Just like a "restricted
fare ticket.

No Brainer

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 12:16 PM
xxx

Very well put No Brainer!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:05 PM
kkj

I am very sorry about what happened to you. I would probably try to rebook the trip and go at a later date.

However, not to lecture you, but these restricted fares were explained to you. These changes have been well-documented in the media. Yes, they are ridiculous and unreasonable, but they are known to all of us. It is simply not the airlines fault that you are unable to use the ticket. Too many people booked and no showed through the years and found loopholes in all the regulations. Now we all have to pay for it. So the lesson is that restricted and cheap tickets are very limited in what you can do. You get what you pay for.

Illness and job loss are of no concern to the airlines. They are no longer going to be our buddies. Buyer beware.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:05 PM
Keith

I had a similar case but mine involved an emergency bypass surgery. I too had doctor's notes, hospital bills etc. NO GO. Mine was with Northwest Airlines so apparently all the airlines have taken a very hard stance on this. I opted to pay the change fee and booked the flight within the next 365 days (or whatever it was) and will be traveling next Spring. I really don't think you can hold this against American Airlines...this would have been the case with any major airline when you buy a restricted ticket. The only way around this is to buy a fully refundable ticket at twice the price. Look at it this way, at least you have options! If you'd book through priceline, you wouldn't have any options. Speedy Recovery!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:31 PM
Whatever

Sounds to me like you need to get in touch with the person on this board who complained incessantly for months because Delta wouldn't replace the expired voucher that she had thrown away.