Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Belvedere Hotel - New York. Is it good enough?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, we've decided to come to NewYork at Christmas time and genarally for that period i find good prices in several hotels.
The best price -review so far is Belvedere Hotel (160$ excl. taxes) and i was wondering if any of you has been there. On tripadvisor the reviews are very good but i'm a little concerned that it's a 2 star hotel.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

One more thing.. for about the same price i've found the:
Grand Hyatt New York
Milford Plaza
Radisson Lexington Hotel
Ramada Plaza New Yorker
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 04:25 AM

Take the Radisson Lexington Hotel
off your list, the majority of reviews are awful.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:36 AM
blh

We stayed at the Belvedere in March and were quite happy with it. The location is great, and we thought the hotel was very nice. Our room was very nice - the bathroom was small. But the small kitchenette was a big plus.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:42 AM

The fact that you can even find a hotel around Christmas time is amazing and we've stayed at the Belvedere three out of the last four visits. Arriving quite late the last time, they'd given away our two rooms (for five of us) and put us in a room that wasn't our choice, but made it up to us by providing breakfast and moving all our things to two very nice rooms the very next morning.

I'd say if you could get it for $160 during the holidays, take it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:44 AM

The Belvedere is a solid hotel. Nothing fancy but clean and the rooms are decent size for NYC. There is a fridge in the room as well which is quite handy. It is well located for access to the theaters as well as zillions of good dining options.

The Grand Hyatt is a bit nicer with a pretty lobby and more 4 star amenities (robes etc.). It too is well located in that it is above Grand Central Station and is close to many restaurants etc.

Although I have never stayed at the other 3 you mention, I have never heard a good thing about any of them.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 07:42 AM
bc

We stayed at the Belvedere for the first time in June and were very satisfied. Not fancy, but extremely clean (which is the most important thing to me) and the location was very good. I had absolutely no complaints.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:21 AM

We stayed at the Belvedere in March and thought it was fine. A good value but not the Ritz. Breakfast buffet was pretty good and the location is excellent for walking to midtown attractions and shows, yet is on a fairly quiet street.

The room was very clean and large enough not to trip over your bags. Bathroom small. The fridge was handy and the safe large enough to stow a laptop computer. Service adequate (no complaints), but not effusive - there when we needed them, but didn't hover.

We'd stay there again.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:34 AM

Do NOT consider any on your list except the Belvedere and the Grand Hyatt. The Milford, Radisson and Ramada New Yorker are NOT any good at all based on user reviews.

The Grand Hyatt is a nicer hotel right above Grand Central Station on the eastside. The Belvedere is more practical for a family with fridge etc. in room and nearer Times Square and Rockefeller Center. Either are fine.

Just a heads up I think there's an amazing deal for the the 23rd , 24th, & 25th of December, the Times Square Courtyard Marriot has a $99 room deal but then the price goes up dramatically.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:58 PM

ttt & good example of a travel thread...
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:04 PM

don't know the belvedere, but if the milford plaza and the grand hyatt are the same price, run, don't walk to the hyatt. don't stay at the milford unless they pay you to, and then i'd think about it twice.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of your for the replies! I narrowed the choises to:
Belvedere
Grand Hyatt (200$more for the entire stay in a deluxe king)
or the Times Square Courtyard Marriot tha 'mclaurie' proposed with 200$ more for the entire stay as well.

So which of these 3 would you choose regarding amenities, decor and location?

* is the area near Grand Central safe? Because generally in Europe, the areas near the train stations at the big cities are the least aggreables.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:57 AM

I have stayed at the Belvedere several times and have always been very happy with it. As others have said, the rooms are good size, the fridge and microwave are a plus. I will agree that the bathrooms are a little small, mostly for counterspace but there is a big dresser with a mirror over it in the room which makes up for the lack of counter space in the bathroom.

The lobby is very nice and the bellman are always there to help you. The elevators can be slow but you can also use the service elevator at the end of the hall. I have never had their breakfast as I prefer to pay a little less for the room only and go to one of the great bagel places in the morning. I have heard, though, that their breakfast is good. There aren't robes in the room and there is no room service if those things are important to you. When I am in NYC, I don't spend any time sitting around my room in a robe having room service-there is just too much to do in the city.

For me the location is perfect. We go to NYC to see lots of shows but we also spend time in all areas of the city. The street is a quiet one and there are lots of small restaurants on 9th Ave that are good and reasonably priced. You are 2 blocks aways from Restaurant Row. There is a subway stop at 8th Ave and 50th with the C and E lines.

I think for the value and location, you can't go wrong with the Belvedere. My self personally, I'd rather spend the $200 on two seats to a Broadway show.

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:29 AM

The area around Grand Central is perfectly safe as is the area around the Belvedere. The Belvedere is closer to theaters though.

Either place is fine. If it were me I would go with the Belvedere and spend the extra $200 on some fine dinners, cocktails with a view, or...
SHOPPING!
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 07:33 AM

You don't say how many days this trip is, so hard to judge whether you're talking about $200 more over a 4 day stay or 8 days, if you get my drift. Also assuming there are just 2 of you. (If a family go with the Belvedere. You'll have more space).

I agree in principal with saving money to use for something else. Depending on where the discount rates at the Courtyard fit into your trip, I'd consider taking advantage of the $99 rate there and then moving either to the Belvedere which isn't far, or maybe splurge at the Grand Hyatt for the balance of the trip. Ofcourse if the $99 price falls in the middle of your stay, I wouldn't move twice.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

mclaurie we're staying 8 days from 21st to 28th of December and definitely we don't want to change hotels.
Also we're a couple and we would like to stay somewhere nice...after all it's Christmas away from home! ;-)
That's why i have this ..hotel dillema.
(Please don't get bored with me yet because i'll have many more questions about N.York in the following months
)
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 07:44 AM

The area around Grand Central is fine - it's a major busines district. And Grand Central itself is a sight for many visitors - it was brought back to it's original (exquisite) appearance some years ago and houses a number of both casuale and trendy restaurants and bars.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Cristine - As much as I love the Belvedere and will probably be staying there again soon, for the extra $200 spread out over 8 days, you might like one of the other hotels better. As Mclaurie said, the Belvedere is great for families but since it's just you and your husband, the bigger room isn't quite as important.

I would probably go with the Courtyard over the Grand Hyatt just because I like being closer to the Theatre District. Sounds like the location of the Courtyard is a quiet street which is nice when you are staying close to Times Square. The Grand Hyatt is convenient, though, because you can hop on any subway right there at Grand Central Station.

Hope this helps although sometimes it seems the more information you get, the more confusing it becomes. LOL
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:55 AM

I did a search on sidestep.com on your dates. I see the Belvedere averaging $163.93 (website traveldealshere.com) and the Grand Hyatt for $166.14 (same website) so that doesn't look like a $200 difference.

The Beekman Tower, which is a lovely hotel near the UN (not as central as the others but a nice area) for $168.71 (website lodging.com)
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:28 PM

I am wondering why the Grand Hyatt, an upscale hotel, is the same price as the Belvedere, a 2 star hotel? Don't you all wonder why there would be so similar a price? Remodeling maybe? Might be a good idea to call Hyatt and find out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -