I'm going to Kauai. Now this is exciting.

Old Jun 21st, 2010, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to Kauai. Now this is exciting.

I returned from Oahu 9 months ago. For about 8 months I have been planning my return to Hawaii.
Through a small miracle I have booked first class tickets from Philadelphia to Kauai at the end of September. Jackpot!!!!!
I am looking for some friendly suggestions on hotels.
I don't know where I would like to stay but I do know that I like a beachfront location.
I will have a rental car and my budget is around $2000.00 for 6 nights hotel only.

My favorite hotels in Hawaii are the JW Marriott Ilihani and the Hapuna Beach Hotel on the Big Island.

So does anybody have any suggestions? This will be my 6th visit to the islands of Hawaii but my first visit to Kauai. I hope I can get shave ice but it is not a deal breaker.

mahalo

Kirsten
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 01:08 PM

Hi Kirsten,

I have been to Kauai 2 times before and will be going back in February, this time to watch the migrating whales. I can't wait!

Take a look at this Hawaii site - click on the "Kauai" category, then scroll down to see many articles on hotels/resort, sightseeing, restaurants, etc...
http://www.hawaiilifeofluxury.com
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 01:22 PM

Hi Kirsten,

You will love it, have been there over ten times. Since it looks like your budget can afford it, take a look at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu, it is a lovely place where I have been to dinner many times. Hopefully MBNancy will see this post, she has posted several times about some certificates you can buy at Costco for services at the Hyatt, gives you some money off. The beach is not swimmable but it is only a short 5-10 minutes to Poipu Beach Park which is good and has lifeguards. Their pools are gorgeous.

I own a timeshare at the Marriott which is also very nice, nice beach (usually calm) and gorgeous pool.

Have not seen the new St. Regis up in Princeville yet, it was not open when I was there last year, supposed to be pretty but a bit pricey. September can be a transition month on the North Shore so that is why I suggested Hyatt.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM

$2000/6 nights wouldn't begin to touch the St Regis in Princeville. We stayed at Hanalei Beach Resort just up the hill from Princeville. If you would consider a condo from VRBO, you could stay up the hill from Hanalei Bay, and have lots of $$$ left over for fun.

Lots of other choices. Lots of people like Kappa, south shore.

You will LOVE Kauai. Enjoy
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. After thinking about it I'm not going to limit myself to just hotels. I will also look into VRBO.

I am a COSTCO member so I will look into that option as well.

It's funny because $2000.00 seems like a lot of money (to me) but I guess in reality it's not!!

Kirsten
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 03:42 PM

That is great. Here is the link to the condo we rented last May in Hanalei Bay. It is on the cliff above the St. Regis in Princeville, and yes you can walk down. The view from the lanai was breathtaking. We ate breakfast in the condo each morning, took sandwiches a couple of days on our day trips, ate dinner out almost every night, and still did much better than your original price point.

http://www.summitpacificinc.com/9222.html

Never mind where you stay, Kauai will be a paradise for you.

Aloha!!
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 05:26 PM

Congrats on the first class tix!

We haved stayed at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club several times and really enjoyed it. We like the Poipu area because the weather is pretty consistent and it is such a nice beach. I have not been there in a few years so I don't know easy it is to get reservations but September should be good if it's after Labor Day. Have a great time!
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 05:38 PM

Congrat's on the upgrade to LIH!

We just stayed at the Grand Hyatt and booked through expedia.com but did the package deal and got a rate of $1,300 pp for flight/hotel/car
and we had a gorgeous oceanfront suite, free breakfast, and we got a free upgrade to first class too.

I checked last month on the St. Regis on expedia and they had standard rooms for $350 a night which would work for you.

If you can get a room at the Grand Hyatt for $200 a night and let the Front Desk upgrade, do it.
Stunning hotel/resort.

Marriott Waiohai in Poipu would be another great 2 bedroom choice or the Koa Kea next door.

September is a great time to be in Kauai..I'll wave since I'll be in O'ahu!
Aloha
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of the information. I might try to stretch my budget and shoot for the St. Regis but I like the look of Koa Kea too.

I must consult my traveling partner (dear mom) to see what she likes. But honestly she is just along for the ride......

K
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 07:47 PM

I agree with previous recommendations for the Grand Hyatt at Poipu. It is a beautiful property. The beach in front of the Hyatt is pretty, but not good for swimming. If it is important to you to be right on a good swimming beach, then check out the Marriott Resort at Kalapaki beach. Also, the Marriott Waiohai is on a good swimming beach.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 09:58 PM

With any luck I will be somewhere in HI in September too! It is wedding anniversary and both of our birthdays so that is usually when we go. Besides we skipped last year which was our 30th so I think we are overdue!
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM

The Marriott Waiohai is almost exclusively timeshares (lovely 2 bedrooms), it is supposed to be tough to rent there, but if interested check into someplace like redweek.com and see if someone wants to rent out their unit.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:46 PM

You can rent directly from Marriott at the Waiohai. I just checked and the last week of September is available. Not cheap.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

I will be arriving September 27th, and I think this will be harder than I thought.....

I'm leaning towards the Hyatt, but it is over budget. I have been reading Trip Advisor like the Bible and even asking on Facebook.

It's time to bunker down and concentrate. Where am I going to stay??? Stay tuned.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

I just wanted to give an update. I bit the bullet and booked the Hyatt. Waaaaaay over budget but I think it will be worth it.

If you have any feedback I would appreciate it. I booked a partial ocean view room with breakfast. What I like about booking through Hyatt was the upgrade option at the end. Also the possibility of an extremely late check out is appealing.

Feeling lucky I bid 13.00 a day for a car on Priceline and my bid was accepted.
It's such a relief as I have been searching for almost a month for the perfect place to stay.

Thank again for all of the input.

Kirsten
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 06:07 PM

Oooooo! Cooool!

I still trying to get the husband to commit to dates etc. The Hyatt is supposed to be fabulous! When our friends went for an anniversary they did one of those dinner on the beach things there that they said was very romantic!

We had a nice meal a few years back at the Plantation Gardens restaurant which is really close. I don't know how the food is now but it was so beautiful sitting on the lanai of the old plantation building and having the gentle rain fall.

Have a great trip, maybe our paths will cross!