Search

Ideas for daytrips on Hawaii cruise

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2011, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for daytrips on Hawaii cruise

Hello.

I will be travelling with my parents (73+) on a Hawaii cruise, and we will spend 2 days in Kahului, ~10 hr. each in Hilo and Kailua, and 2 days in Nawiliwili. I was told I should see Haleakala and take the road to Hana on Maui and visit Waimea Canyon while in Kauai. Are there other must-sees?

This is a first for my parents and I want it to be an experience of a lifetime. They are rnot too active--Dad doesn't like to walk too much, and have diverse interests. They do like structured events, like tours. Is it a good idea to rent cars at places that we stay overnight? I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Aggie
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 10:27 PM

There really isn't a need to rent a car, especially if you plan to take day tours at each port. The cruise ship owns Polynesian Adventures tour company. The tour buses will pick you up at the harbor and take you back at the end of the tour. They offer a Haleakala tour and a Hana tour, but they are two separate full day tours and cannot be done on one day.
http://www.polyad.com/

Also, the shopping centers provide free shuttle service from the harbors to the mall, Hilo Hattie's, WalMart, KMart, etc. Oahu and Maui have city bus service if you decide to see the island that way but you would be better off taking a tour if it is your first time.

One thing I found out on Kauai was the free shuttle from the harbor to KMart also took you into the Kukui Mall shopping center where the KMart is located. They only advertise it as a free shuttle service to KMart but don't tell you that it is connected with the shopping center.

The cruise also operates a luau on the island of Kauai so there isn't a need to try a luau elsewhere.

Another must-see I would include is a trip to the Pearl Harbor and Arizona Memorial on Oahu.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 03:48 AM

and when you are in Hilo, go to the volcano, check out the crater, lava tubes, and if it is flowing check that out from a little distance. The Botanical gardens are great, but if your dad can't walk much he would find that hard.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:15 AM

2 days on Maui, I wouldnt spring for a hotel as kahului isnt that far from the sights. If you are set on Hana, then you might consider an overnight there if a long winding car travel is an issue.If its whale season, a whalewatch on Maui is great. We like the Haleakala Natl Park on Maui better than visiting Volcanos Natl Park on the Big Island. One day Big Island I might opt for Waipio Valley instead(personal opinion)

If they are faint hearted, the Helicopter ride on Kauai is a must
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:19 AM

Pacific Coast Hwy between Newport Beach and San Clemente would be a must, and maybe a local canyon like Trabuco.

Be sure to put the top up on the freeways(imo)...maybe Hollywood fwy with it down
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:21 AM

Sorry, about the 9:19 post as it belonged on anther thread

The good news is that there are no freeways whre you are going
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
On Maui everyone in my family really enjoyed the trip up Haleakala and the Old Lahaina Luau. Neither require extensive walking.

Several of us get carsick easily, so we didn't attempt the road to Hana.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:52 AM

Kmart? -) )
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:11 PM

Must see for me in Kauai would be the North Shore beaches. Rent a car and drive up (neither the bus nor the majority of tour buses can go past Hanalei due to the one lane bridges and narrow roads). Ke'e Beach is gorgeous, with restrooms and showers and lifeguard, good snorkeling. Then stop for lunch in Hanalei, lots of cute little restaurants, nice beach and pier there also. On the way back, stop and see the Kiluaua lighthouse and make a midafternoon stop at Tropical Dreams Video and Ice Cream (they do not open until 2pm and are moving to Kapaa in a couple of months) for some of the best ice cream you will ever taste!

On your second shorter day, do a helicopter ride if you can afford it, or leave VERY early and drive to Canyon or lastly you can walk over short distance to Kalapaki Beach, a few places to get stuff at Anchor Cove mall, like ABC stores, etc. and have lunch at Duke's Barefoot Bar at the Marriott Hotel. Do NOT eat at the fancy restaurant in Anchor Cove, food not very good except a few things and very expensive and the service is poor, they know most people will not be back since they are off the cruise ship.

Forget shopping malls and KMart. At least on Kauai.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:12 PM

Just to clarify the tours with Polynesian Adventures. Polynesian Adventures offer slightly different tours on the internet than what they offer on the cruise ship. The cruise ship tour to Haleakala also includes a trip into Lahaina Town. (If you book directly via the internet, the Haleakala tour does not include Lahaina Town). Also, if you book a tour over the internet, the Poly Ad buses will not enter the harbor and you would have to walk across the street just outside the harbor. However, the prices are a little cheaper if you book them directly. Another tour company that offer similar tours is Roberts Hawaii. You would have to book theirs directly.
http://www.robertshawaii.com/
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the responses! Thanks for the tips about the tours offered by Roberts Hawaii and Gray Line (Polynesian Adventure)--both have possibilities. Thanks also for the suggestion re: Pearl Harbor--it's booked with an Oahu tour. I don't think we can do the Polynesian Culture Center show...

Timing can be an issue as it turns out we will be in Kahului only from 0800 to 1800--scheduling might be a tad tight...How prompt are the tours?

It seems that there are plenty of shuttles into town so for some of the shorter stays, perhaps a bit of souvenir shopping might not be a bad idea.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 10:20 PM

If your tour driver knows that you are on the cruise ship, they will make sure you are back at the harbor in time. If you are booking a tour directly (and not via the cruise ship), then notify your tour driver that you are a cruise passenger.

Hilo Hatties has probably the most selection of souveniers and gifts. Kahului, Kailua-Kona, and Oahu ports have shopping within walking distance from the ship.