Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

14 DAYS extended family trip. Help me w/Island Selections.

Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Day 1 and 14 will be travel days so I'll lose those. So we're looking at 12 days on Island.
If I 'hop' we're looking at losing another 1/2 day.

Our family kids will be 14, 12, 11. we are early 40s active. Semi-active grandparents early 70s. Possibly another couple in 40s w/ 4 year old granddaughter [she probably won't come].

Travel Month = June next year.

On the TI forum the majority say 1 week 1 island PERIOD.

Oahu = Pearl Island. Can't skip. Dad retired Navy and my kids want to see it.

After much research [much much] Kaui appealed to 'me' the most. But I had to remind myself it is not just my vacation. Perhaps when hubby and I travel without kids.

Originally wanted to 'see a volcano' because doesn't everybody. My kids would dig it. My folks. not so sure.

Original Plan Oahu and Big Island....but AFTER researching, it seemed like there would be a lot of driving...then I thought split stay. 4-5 days Kona 2-3 Hilo/VNP....but then thought too much for my folks...and still too much driving around for kids....or maybe not?

so then thought Kaui....but would my folks be bored to tears? We would adventure all day and chill at night but they might not be up for all the adventure so they'd be sitting around bored. They enjoy beaches but can't sit for long and don't like too much sun exposure.
My folks love gardens [they loved Grenada on a cruise] so I know they'd love Kaui but they also love to people watch and have good food and easy strolls so Oahu/Maui better.

so then finally decided on Oahu/Maui. Good compromise for everyone. We'd skip the Road to Hana because I think the kids would hate all the driving unless we stayed the night. Worth it with kids? The others could enjoy the Road to Hana and we could do surf lessons, etc.

some in group like to golf. they can do that anywhere I think.

Hubby and I, sis-in-law and our kids will love to snorkel, hike, zip, surf lessons, paddle board, etc. We'd do a Luai together and a sunset sail or something.

Then I thought what about 4 days Oahu, 5 days Maui and either Kaui or BI for another 4-5 days for whoever wants to go......TI would say 'no way' but wondered what you all thought?

Best to focus more on 2 Islands? Day 1-5 Oahu [3.5 days on Oahu] Travel Day 6 Maui Day 6-14 Maui [7.5 days maui].

Or Go for it since it will cost $4-5k for my family of 5 just to get there!

Day 1-5 Oahu [3.5 days on Oahu] Travel Day 6 6-10 Maui [4 full 2 half days on Maui]
Travel Day 10 Day 10-14 either BI focus on Hilo/VNP area or Kaui [3.5 days on Island].

Thanks. I just keep going around and around. Maybe 'research overload'.

Trish
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:17 AM

We went to Hawaii for 3 weeks - 1 week on Oahu, 1 on Big Island, 1 on Maui. Haven't been to Kauai, so can't comment on that choice.

With your group and varied interests, I would do 1 week Oahu and 1 week Maui. Oahu has a lot of history - we loved Pearl Harbor, Punch Bowl, Iolani Palace (do the tour) and the Bishop Museum. We didn't do Doris Duke's Shangri-La, but it's on the list for the next time. Your group would probably enjoy a day at the Polynesian Cultural Center - do the luau there (we liked it and it was a great intro to luaus) and the wonderful night-time show.

Snorkeling at Haunauma Bay is a good way to start, and then spend a day at the North Shore and snorkel there - it's amazing. Of course there are surf lessons, etc. hike Diamond Head, sunset cruises and more. The kids will love the vibe of Waikiki. Plenty to do there for a week for all ages. We didn't do it, but there's a tour where they filmed Jurassic Park that looks cool.

Maui has great snorkel trips to Molokini and we also did a sunset cruise there. We went to the Old Laihaina Luau (after much research) and loved it - book early (like now!) for the best seats. We did the bike trip down Haleakala (for the adventurous ones in your group) and I know there are zip lines. Snorkeling is also great right from the shore in many places. I would skip the Road to Hana with teens - lots of driving. Again, there's more "happening" on Maui which would keep teens happy.

Personally, my favorite island was the Big Island, but it does require a lot of driving. There are probably day trips from Maui to see the volcano - I'm sure it's expensive, but those who really want to do it, could.

We have 3 boys (now 17, 19 and 23) - I always found that if we plan the trips around their interests we all have a much better time.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:00 AM

I also think Oahu and Maui would work best for your family.

The Big Island is bigger than all the other islands combined and there is a LOT of driving, I would not go there for less than one full week. The volcano has not been real active lately but who knows what it will be doing when your trip arrives.

My personal favorite is Kauai but with teenagers I think Maui would work better for you. Little bit more to do as far as shopping and nightlife (not like Waikiki though).
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

funny you all are agreeing on oahu maui but for the kids whereas I think my kids would prefer kauai. Were active, camp a lot, hike, explore. Lol.

thanks for help. On BI, I was thinking of JUST Hilo/VNP for time there because its BIG and need a week to explore other areas.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:16 AM

Well, it seems like you have made up your mind. I was referring to this sentence in your post:
"After much research [much much] Kaui appealed to 'me' the most. But I had to remind myself it is not just my vacation. Perhaps when hubby and I travel without kids"

and this sentence:
"so then thought Kaui....but would my folks be bored to tears?"

With a group that size, I think the extra flight for a 3rd island would be a hassle, but that's JMO. There's plenty of hiking, exploring on every island and more for your parents to do if they don't join you.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:38 AM

I apologize if my last post came across as rude - that was not my intention. I was just explaining why I answered as I did.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:44 AM

I have done a few 'day trips' (from Oahu) to outer islands. This might be a good option for you. Don't do a tour. Pay for flights and book your own car. Very easy to do. Those who want to go can go; those who don't want to see the volcanoes, stay put!! You can all meet up late in the day and share experiences.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

BB not rude at all. I just leaned away from Kauai not because of my kids but because of my folks so thought it was interesting that both comments referenced my kids probably not liking Kauai.

S. the 'day trips' are very long and very expensive from what I found. We will take the ferry to Lanai from maui one day while there.

I don't know why I posted...just wanted either confirmation that Oahu Maui is correct choice or people telling me 'No No you should do x instead....or THREE islands would be no problem.' LOL.

I do all the research and then I present it and I know I'll hear 'why aren't we going to see a volcano?' or 'aren't we going to all 4 islands'. etc.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it...
Trish
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Sorry my first post was so long. here's the summary:

Option 1:
Day 1-6 Oahu; Fly am Day 7; Day 7-13 Maui or Kauai; Day 14 home.

Option 2:
Day 1-4 Oahu; Fly am Day 5 Day 5-8 Maui; Fly am Day 9 and spend Day 9-13 Kauai; Day 14 leave for home.

Option 3:
Day 1-4 Oahu; Day 4 travel day to Hilo/VNP; Day 7 travel day to Kauai Day 14 travel home.

Sounds like 2 islands most recommended and also Oahu/Maui based on research. But happy to hear other ideas.

2 couples in 40s, kids 14-12-10, gparents early 70s
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM

You really can't go wrong in Hawaii. The islands are all paradise. See a couple of them this time and go back again for the others. Oahu is my favorite because you can do a lot without a car and just rent one for a day to drive around the island.

Have a great trip and report back to let us know how it went.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:17 AM

I agree, stick to two islands, you will find those interisland airfares add up especially with that many people, right now the cheapest are about $60-80pp ONE WAY. Try and fly into one island and out of another. Try this site for less expensive rental cars, they are reputable wholesalers and many folks over on TA recommend them, I got a great car from them with Avis:

discounthawaiicarrentals.com
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:56 PM

I would choose Maui and Oahu with teens, and would stay in a hotel/condo that is not remote, for the simple reason that the kids can go poking around on their own (for ex., Waikiki Beach and Kaanapali Beach). If that isn't a concern, or you don't like concentrated resort/hotel areas, then Kauai is your best bet - it's less developed than the others, lush and beautiful, with fabulous beaches, views and hiking.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 08:31 AM

Normally I would recommend Kauai and Big Island but for the teens - Oahu and Maui would probably be best.

Volcano Fix - drive up Haleakala - it's not currently active but pretty darned impressive anyway.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks for advice.

Only 1 of the kids will be a teen and then she'll only be 14. They won't be doing much 'poking around' on their own.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 03:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd do Oahu (5 days) and Maui (7 days)
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

thanks...
thanks...plan is Oahu day 1 -5 travel day 6 to maui
appreciate the help everyone.