Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Early February Activities in Hawaii - Questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Mike

1) Which is the best island in Hawaii for taking a helicopter ride?
2) Is Maui Downhill Bicycling tour worth the 8 hours & cost and is it too hard for someone who rides a bike once per year?
3) What are must see sites/tours on island of Hawaii, Oahu, Maui and Kauai?
4) Which island is best for beginner snorkeling in early February?
5) Any other must dos?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Sarah

Archive search Mike I am all tuckered out, each island offers something special and different.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:31 PM
helen

I agree with Sarah. Each island is different. It is not fair to compare what one island offers with another. One is not better than another. They are just different.

Personally, I would not do the bike tour on Maui. Hanauma Bay on Oahu makes it easy for beginning snorkeling. Can't beat the BI helicopter tours over the volcano.

Must sees: BI - volcano, Waipio Valley, Akaka Falls. Maui - whale watching, Haleakala, Iao needle, Ulalena. Oahu - Pearl Harbor, Pali lookout, Polynesian Cultural Center, Waikiki Beach & Diamond Head. Kauai - Waimea Canyon and drive to the lookout on top, NaPali Coast, Princeville & Hanalei.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Terry

We need some of these answered also?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Sidney

Fasten your seat belts Mike, the resident Hawaii expert on this board will enlighten you (and all others who read this!!).

A couple of your questions are too vast to be answered in this format. 300 page tourist guides have been written answering your questions.

Many of your questions are answered as a matter of taste rather than fact. The best island for helicopter tours? Do you like chocolate, vanilla or strawberry ice cream? A case can be made for Kauai, the volcanoes of Hawaii and Maui. I don't think you can choose wrong. A more apprpriate question might be what sort of helicopter will the tour fly? This will really influence your enjoyment. How many on board? Sound muffling? Video? Where will you sit in the copter--middle or by window. These are all questions you should research.

Should you take the bicycle ride down Haleakala? My persoanl opinion is no. I think you get the same thrill driving there and back down in your car. If you go in the morning stop at the Kula Lodge for a great breakfast and view--it is near the enterance to the park. I hardly ever see anyone having fuun on their ride down the mountain. Eyes fixed in front of them and a death grip on the handlebars for 5-6 hours!! The safety of this endeavor is also rarely publicised. There are many anecdotal reports of falls--ask before you go. Again chocolate or vanilla.

You may want to do search under my name for old posts that will give you more info that this space does not allow for.

You're welcome.

Next?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:42 PM
xxx

Lydgate Park on Kauai is good for beginner snorkeling, so is Kahalu (sp?) park on the Big Island (although there has been really big surf on the BI this week - big enough to close that park and some others on the west side of the BI).

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:54 PM
BC

Sidney, you have made me very depressed. My family and I, are planning a Maui Downhill Bicycling tour. It sounded like fun. Has anyone done the down hill tour? Someone please tell me it was worth the money. Thanks.
P.S. Sidney, I am going to Cheeseburger Pardise, I am going to tell them Sidney told me to go here.
Bc

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Sidney

Dear BC,

If the bicycle trip sounds like fun than by all means do it. Many people do. If your family rides alot it may even be more fun. It is a matter of preference rather than fact.

I just wanted you to realize that there are many considerations. When you are riding downhill be aware that you must deal with traffic--the road is not blocked off. Some tour companies have a vehicle at the front and back of the rider pack but there is still oncoming traffic. Please check the number and type of falls encountered by that company's excursions.

You may love it and if you decide to go I hope you have a great time.

If you go by car then consider the Kula Lodge for breakfast or lunch--wondeerful macadamia nut pancakes!! Also an interesting garden out back.

I think Cheeseburger in Paradise gives good value for your money by Maui standards. I hope the line is not too long.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:00 PM
BC

Sidney, Where do you lodge at? I am staying in Kahana, should I see if I could change resort & area? I wish I would have known about this site, before I booked my vacation. I have read that Kahana is not a nice area and that Wailea is much nicer. Your opinion please. You are the Hawaii expert.

Thanks

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Scott

My wife and I did the Haleakala bike thing on our honeymoon a few years ago, and enjoyed it very much. The sunrise is truly the memorable part (assuming the weather cooperates). The summit is almost like a moonscape, and it is incredible to see it emerge as darkness gives way to morning. (One of my favorite memories from Maui.) The bike ride is fun but nothing earth-shattering. I recommend using a company that allows you to go at your own pace unless you're very cautious/concerned about safety. We stopped at the Kula Lodge for a good hot breakfast on the way down.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 07:26 PM
LCUY

My parents (in their 70's!) did Cruiser Bob's bike ride and had a great time. I'm sure they were somber faced as it is quite an adventure...you have to pay attention as you are bikeing at pretty high speeds. I've never done it as getting up before dawn just does not sound like vacation fun!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 01:36 AM
Melissa

Hi Lcuy! Long time no see!

My friend did the Haleakala bike ride and she had a hard time because she is short--I guess the bikes are one standard size. I dont think she rides often, either. Usually when I visit Haleakala I hike after sunrise...either into the crater or off one of the trails on the side of the mountain. That can be pretty!

As for helicopter tours...every island has one, and they are all different as every island offers different things. So it depends on what you are looking to see!

How long are you looking to stay on each island? That might help narrow the choices of what you should & can see.