ID needed to travel to Canada

Sep 12th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 18
ID needed to travel to Canada

What form of ID do I need to travel to Canada since I don't have a passport?
hersey is offline  
Sep 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,190
You will need both a birth certificate and a driver license/ID card.
toedtoes is offline  
Sep 12th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 239
Are you sure you need a birth certificate? I've only been asked for a license and I go often.
celfan is offline  
Sep 12th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 723
Getting BACK into the US you will need a passport or at least 2 id's. Without a'd better check to make sure you can get back IN.
TAW is offline  
Sep 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,482
See links below. The rules, they be a-changin'!
pollyvw is offline  
Sep 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 22,282
Check US Dept of State website. They give dates and rules for Canada and everywhere else. What worked last year may not work this year. What they require may not be what they ask each person for on each crossing, but you must have it in case they do. Do not rely on posters here, as smart as we are, since they are getting very serious about documentation at borders.

And add to your "to do" list to get a passport - very soon you will need one to go anywhere out of US.
gail is offline  
Sep 12th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,986
celfan - What you've been asked to provide, and what you can legally be asked to provide are not necessarily the same thing.

Check the link for all the rules. For now, birth certificate (with raised seal - not a copy) license should do (but double check). Not for long, though. If you plan to travel to Canada or Mexico in the future, just get the passport now.
jlm_mi is offline  
Sep 12th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 235
Having check many web sites and reading alot of literature on this subject, on my planning when DH and I drove to Alaska. All stated picture ID such as passport or drivers license and a birth certificate. We had our passports. But if we had not, I would have taken both with just to be safe.
marleneawe is offline  
Sep 12th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,190
As other posters indicated, what you are asked for and what is required may be two different things. Until 2007, a birth certificate and driver license is acceptable.

I do agree that it's a good idea to get a passport now before the new laws go into effect, otherwise you may find yourself not able to get out of the States or back in.
toedtoes is offline  
Sep 12th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 57,890
Note that this must be a real birth certificate - not a Xerox - but the original sealed or notarized type that you must have to get a passport.

Agree that they MAY not ask everyone for everything - but they MAY. And who wants to be stuck there forever trying to convince them you ARE americans.

And this applies to children as well as adults.
nytraveler is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Jan 27th, 2007 01:03 PM
Aug 22nd, 2006 04:30 PM
Jul 25th, 2006 02:48 PM
May 14th, 2005 12:26 PM
Caribbean Islands
Aug 14th, 2001 03:18 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:11 AM.