domestic travel without drivers license

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've just lost my drivers' license, and I can get a new one Monday, but it's just the temporary one until the real card comes in the mail. I'm traveling in two weeks domestically (within California) and I'm sure the real one won't arrive by that time. Can I use my passport as ID, or do I need a license?

Thanks.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Have you inquired if your Motor Vehicles Department can expedite the delivery of your license?

Why can't you use your temporary drivers license?

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

I could see if they could expedite, but it normally takes 2-3 weeks. My temporary license is just a piece of paper ... no photo ID.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Um, okay I just found my ID ... stuck to the back of my credit card. What a moron!
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Happens to us all on occasion. In any case, yes, a passport is a more than adequate photo ID in place of a driver's license (for anything but driving). It doesn't mean you might not run into store clerks or such who are so used to seeing drivers licenses for id that they don't know what a passport is, but a little patient explaining (or reference to the manager) will normally take care of it.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Every now and then a motel asks to see a drivers license at check in, and, if you use a senior pass at a National Park, you will be asked to show photo ID.

What kind of an ID did you find stuck to a credit card?
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ... I totally assumed a passport would be OK, but I'd never tried it out ... and now I don't have to. It was my drivers' license.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 05:09 PM

When I was a cashier many moons ago, we used to occasionally have someone use a passport as the ID for writing a check or something. It is definitely valid for any situation in which you would need a photo ID, but it did throw us for a loop occasionally because we weren't used to seeing passports.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 09:00 PM

FYI:

In California, a passport is not considered a valid form of I.D. for the purpose of buying alcohol.

There are stores, bars and restaurants that will accept it, but with the 3 strikes law, many are getting stricter and saying no go.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 09:14 PM

You may use any temporary US d/l in Cal. for 30 days.
My brother who hasn't had a d/l in 10 yrs uses his p/p for ID coast to coast and internationally.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 05:40 AM

JoeTro: I know you found your DL but just for future reference, yes you can use your passport to get on a plane for trips within the U.S. I've done it many times.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Hi Toeds, that is interesting. A question? What do visitors from other countries use for an ID when trying to buy liquor in CA, especially those in their 20's? Thanks.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Love - here goes my spiel...

In California, section 25660, a Bona Fide I.D. must contain:

1. issued by a government agency
2. name of person
3. date of birth of person
4. description of person
5. photograph of person

and it must be currently valid (i.e., not expired)

This "Bona Fide I.D." provides a defense to business owners against a charge of selling to a minor. If the person presents a bona fide I.D. and the clerk/server makes a good faith effort to verify that the person in front of them is the person on the I.D. AND that the I.D. is not altered in any way, then if the person ends up to be a minor, the charge can be dismissed (because the business did everything they could to verify the age of the person).

The law does not actually state that an I.D. is required to get service, but it allows a business to refuse service if there is no I.D.

So, a passport does not normally contain a description of the person (height, weight, eye color, hair color, etc.) and therefore is not considered valid under this section (and therefore cannot be used as a defense).

If the person has any other I.D. that meets those requirements above, they can use that for verification of age. Driver licenses are the most common as they pretty much ALL contain the 6 requirements.

Now, here's the kick:

If a business is unfamiliar with a form of Bona Fide I.D. (i.e., a UK driver license), they cannot tell if it is real or fake - they don't know what a real one looks like. So, they have the right to refuse any I.D. that they are not familiar with, and therefore refuse service.

So, a visitor to California (even a fellow US citizen) can be refused service if they don't have a California driver license or I.D.

In most tourist areas, the businesses decide that the business they get from visitors outweighs the risk they incur by accepting I.D. that isn't valid and/or familiar. Rarely do visitors have a problem buying alcohol in San Francisco even though they don't have valid and/or familiar I.D.

In other non-touristy areas, as well as college towns, there is a much greater chance of being refused service. The businesses in those areas have decided that the risk of selling to an underage person far outweighs the benefits of serving to that one or two odd visitor.

What I recommend to people who have been refused service (which is explained is NOT illegal or discriminatory) is to try a different store or restaurant. Some care more than others about it.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
passport trumps drivers license
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
oops, unless you're driving a car
;-)
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Or buying alcohol...
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Thanks Toeds. For some reason I was thinking US Passports did indicate height, weight etc..but no they don't.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Neither do military I.D.s anymore...
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM

ah, any of you older guys remember when we HAD to carry our draft cards?
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Very interesting about alcohol. I get carded a lot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -