Is a Birth Certificate Required?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and my husband are traveling to GC for a long weekend in three weeks. I have a passport but he does not and I can't find his birth certificate. Does he need to have one to get in our can he use his drivers license?
Please help!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 03:57 AM

A driver's license alone is not sufficient to get back into the United States from GC, which is where the real trouble lies. You'll need to get a birth certificate with a raised seal on it AND a government-issued photo id, in this case a driver's license.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:03 AM

With all due respect..haven't you read anything on this board before posting your question?
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:07 AM
caribtraveler

ejcrowe is right.

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 02:00 PM

Much talk here about ID. In summary - the issue is ID needed to get back into US - they want proof that you are a citizen or here some other legal way. That is why a driver's license is not enough - it proves who you are, but not your legal status in US.

A birth certificate - with a raised seal - proves you are a citizen, since anyone born in US is a citizen. A US passport will do the same thing.

If you go to US Dept. of State website it will tell you for sure what sort of documents are necessary to get back into US from anywhere in the world. I would go there for the definitive answer - on this board we all know a lot, but I would only trust US government on this one.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:30 PM

You are in a real bind, since you only have 3 weeks...many states will expedite replacement birth certificates for a hefty fee...see if you can do this. Your departing airline will be the ones to stop you, so you will not get out of the US unless you satisfy the airline. If all else fails, have him bring his voters ID and driver's license, and act like you forgot it. They USED TO let you sign an affadavit (this happened to me before 9/11, going to Aruba). Good luck!
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Just call the clerk's office in the county where he was born. For a nominal fee, they will issue a certified copy (with a raised seal) of his birth certificate. # weeks should be plenty of time to get this done.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 05:23 AM

go to Vital Check at www.vitalcheck.com or call them at 1-800-255-2414, they get birth certificates fast.....