I need basic facts on a cheap/hotel stay/some hiking/ trip to the Grand Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Mike

Hello,
I am taking my first trip to the Grand Canyon and will either drive from Kansas City or take a train if AMTRAC will get me there. 3 questions:
1) What can I expect for my hotel and food costs for a five day stay near or around the canyon--cheap hotels like holiday inn approximately $100.00 a night?
2) What is a good source for info on day trips-hiking into the Canyon?
3) What do need to aviod or be wary of as a novice traveller or hiker in the canyon?
Thanks for the advice!

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Kent Zavacky

1) Amtrak can get you to Flagstaff, then open rd tours/coach USA shuttle to canyon daily. When are you going makes all the difference on answers to rest?

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 12:32 PM
alyssa

I live in Phoenix and was just at the GC last week. We stayed in Williams, AZ which is about an hour away- the cheapest hotel on a Sun night was $59 for 4 people. The cheapest lodge in GC park or Tusayan we found was $120. If you stay in Williams there is the GC Railroad and that with a hotel stay for one night and food for 2 days is $150. There are shuttles and trails in GC Natl Park so I would not recommend spending money on a tour agenct but for hiking just bring LOTS of water and play it safe. If you search on yahoo for grand Canyon lodging or hiking you should get a bunch of info.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Mike

Thank you Zack and Alyssa for your responses. I will likely be going mid to late July of this year. I appreciate the information, best of luck to the both of you.

Mike

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:19 PM
jan

I was able to get a Frontier Cabin just the other day for Mid August at the North Rim in the Grand Canyon.

Link below to where I was able to reserve.@$90.00
I am very excited. Read the other Grand Canyon topics they will give you lots of details on the North Rim as opposed to the South Rim
Cheers,
Jan
http://www.xanterra.com/properties/g...yonorthrim.htm

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:44 AM
virginia

See if your budget will allow a place on the South Rim. Try Maswik Lodge or the Bright Angel. When hiking, remember you have to go back UP. The rangers when you get there have good hiking advice & trail maps. Flagstaff weather at the top, Phoenix weather at the bottom. I think it's 7 miles down the Bright Angel trail to the bottom. Sunrise from the Kaibab trail is the most beautiful thing you'll ever see.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:25 PM
ariela

I would reccomend staying in the park - the ride out of the park to nearby towns feels quite long. When I went last year I was able to find a cabin for less than $100, but they may be booked up, perhaps you can check for cancellations.

The park itself will have info on the trails and will give you warnings about heat and the difficulty trails.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Paul Rabe

For all info on the Grand Canyon, go to

www.kaibab.org

www.thecanyon.com

www.nsp.gov/grca

For info on the dangers of hiking, go to

www.kaibab.org/gc/bc/suffer.htm

Check out the day hikes mentioned in

www.kaibab.org/gc/misc/gc_what.htm