Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Arizona trip-should we skip Grand Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are busy planning our summer vacation to Arizona and will be staying in Sedona as our home base to visit the areas around it. I have gotten a lot of great information as where to stay and that has been taken care of. Thanks to all of you who help me out there. My husband has a bee in his bonnet so to say about going back to the Grand Canyon again after 15 years. This would add another day or so to our one week trip in late July. It is difficult to find a place to stay unless I am persistant about calling them. We are coming from So. California and plan to stay one night at Laughlin to take a breather and go onto the Canyon for one night and then down to Sedona. Are we packing too much into one week? Is stopping by the Canyon worth it. I know how beautiful it is but would there be time to enjoy it for just one day without the hiking. We have hiked down to Phantom Ranch 15 years ago and it was a great experience. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Several years ago we spent one night at the Grand Canyon. We actually drove in from San Diego. I can't even remember which lodge we stayed at. We got up early the next morning and hiked part way down into the canyon. We then headed to Laughlin. Got there mid afternoon, I think. So, it is possible to do some short hikes while only there for a day. The Grand Canyon was the only thing that really impressed my young adolescent boys on that entire two week trip. Jean
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:26 AM

IMHO, you can see a lot from the rim. We hiked down to Indian Gardens the first time we were at the Grand Canyon and I prefer the hiking along the rim.

You can exit the park on Hwy 64 going to Cameron to stop at the other scenic over looks. Then take the Hwy 395 loop to Wupatki National Monument & Sunset Crater before getting to Sedona.

I personally think it's worth it, especially after 15 years!

Utahtea
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 09:33 AM
kkj

Absolutely go to the Canyon. It is one of the Wonders of the World and as such is surely worth a couple of hours. You can see plenty from the Rim. The Canyon is never disappointing.

Take the time to enjoy.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 10:43 AM

My first thought is that it is still the same hole in the ground however....

I have been reading: Over the Edge: Death in the Grand Canyon which is the true accounts of the hundreds of deaths that have taken place here.

This would cause me to visit again and get IN to the canyon.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:40 PM

I would go back to the Grand Canyon every couple of years if I could. I loved Sedona but 2 or 3 days there was enough.. Have fun.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who gave me advice about visiting the GC. I think we'll do it. It will bring back our old memories of our hike to Phantom Ranch.