is grand canyon trip worth the hype?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will be heading to vegas in sept for some grown-up indulgence. we were considering taking a day-trip with one of the tour operators.
are these tours worth the money/time?
and do can anyone suggest some good operators?

thanks =0)
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:05 AM

We just came back from Arizona and spent one night in the Grand Canyon. I would say that one night was enough for me - we are not hikers. We spent the afternoon that we got there doing the shuttle bus route. Which I must say, after a while it starts to look alike. I'm not sure if I would go back to the GC again, but it is something definitely worth seeing once. It is amazing!
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

thanks, sue doc.
yes, i'm also reluctant in spending too much time there.

(anyone know any good tour operators that arrange trous from vegas???)

thank u =0)
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:14 AM

The Grand Canyon is wonderful and I really think more than 1 day is needed. I can understand you may not want to hike down into the canyon, particularly in the warmer weather, but there are some short hiking trails around the canyon rim in addition to the shuttle bus. We took the overnight mule ride down into the canyon and stayed overnight at Phantom Ranch. It was a great experience, although more grueling than many people think unless you ride frequently.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:59 AM

YES, the South Rim is worth a trip BUT keep in mind that most of the DAY trips to the Grand Canyon go to the West Rim which is on the Indian Reservation and this is NOT the same as the South Rim.

Utahtea
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Don't know when you'll be in Vegas or how many are included in "we," but a little digging can find something ten times better than any tour for a lot less money.

I chose a random weekday in September and then went searching for one night of lodging in the Canyon and a 48 hour car rental in downtown Vegas. You can have a king for $105 or two queens for $123. The rentals are $51 for an economy (that's the TOTAL rental, tax and fees included) or $61 for an intermediate. Distance is 560 miles, round-trip, so let's figure 20 gallons of gas at $2 a gallon. You'll have to eat whether you're in Vegas or the Canyon.

If you're willing to decide for yourself what you see, when to see it, and for how long to see it; two people can spend a night at the Canyon for $196 and a family can do so for $229.

If you demand that someone else makes these decisions for you, you'll probably spend more.

I've been to Vegas six times, loved every minute; and there is NOTHING there worth missing the Grand Canyon for.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 10:24 AM

One of the most wonderful things to me about the Canyon is how it changes with the light, so I love being there around sunrise and sunset. If your tour has you there for just a few hours in the middle of the day, I wonder if you can really 'get' it.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 10:43 AM

"is grand canyon trip worth the hype?"

The Grand Canyon is considered one of the great natural wonders of the world so I'd have to say that it might be worth tearing yourself away from the slots for a day. People travel from around the world to see it so I suspect that it isn't just "hype".
The way that you ask the question suggests to me that you're not really interested in seeing it so why not just skip it.
If you do decide to go I'd suggest hanging around until sunset..it can be quite a show if you enjoy that kind of thing.
One thing is for sure, it's the biggest damn hole you'll ever see in your life and a mighty purdy one too.

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 11:00 AM

Each trip has its own tone and focus for us - maybe you should consider saving trip to GC for another time and possibly combining it with Zion, Bryce and other close-by natural wonders.

Don't know about West Rim, but South Rim was definitely worth it - but we drove and it was part of longer trip.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 11:15 AM

Week took the "Look Tours" airplane/bus tour (http://www.looktours.com/air1.html) and thought it was quite good. It takes you to the South Rim ad the views are magnificient. Certainly any type of single day tour will not do the GC justice, but if that's all the time you have available, you should consider it. BTW: I think you may get a better price by booking it in advance on the web.

Ken
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 02:04 PM

Personally, I would want to see the Grand Canyon when I actually had time to get IN it. You don't have to hike down far to really appreciate its grandeur. It's more awesome once you get off the rim, I think.

I'm with Paul R - the Grand Canyon is so much more amazing than anything in Vegas, but your mileage may vary. I'm an outdoors type, and it doesn't sound like you are all that excited about going in the first place. I would pose the question: Is Vegas worth all the hype, just so you get an idea of my opinion on Vegas vs. Grand Canyon. Just my two cents! Karen
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Dear all,
Thanks for your replies.
Pls. let me stress that I've always wanted to go to GC. I was only skeptical about whether a day-trip whilst in Vegas was worth it(money,time etc.)... do these tours do the GC any justice?
From what I've heard. I should probably save it for a different trip.
Or does anyone who has been on a day-trip from Vegas think otherwise?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 08:21 PM

The name "GRAND" doesn't do it justice! There is nothing like it--anywhere. Definately, if you ever have the opportunity and desire to hike and/or raft--you should. But it does take time and planning. It is a long distance just to get there. However...no one has mentioned a canyon-tour flight. I took my husband on a (3 hour?) trip from LV just so he could see what an awesome place I had been telling him about since I had hiked/rafted the Grand Canyon w/daughter. He agreed that it was well worth the money to have a look. He loved it also and two years later we were in the bottom of the canyon on a raft trip. So...is it worth it? If your time in Vegas is very valuable, a tour flight is a good alternative. How much time vs how much money do you want to spend to experience this treasure?
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:50 AM

A few years ago I took a plane tour from Las Vegas. Maybe "tour" is the wrong word, because the trip was unguided. It consisted of just transport between Las Vegas and the Canyon, and free time (unguided) to walk around the South Rim area.

From the plane there were great views of the canyon. Then we had about 4 hours on the ground to do whatever we wanted. I found this to be more than enough time to see all I wanted to see.

Unless you want to camp out, go river rafting, or take a mule ride into the canyon, the day-trip visit from Las Vegas is adequate for a good visit. There are great views from the air, and there is also the walk along the Rim.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:43 AM

Several years ago, we took the tour from Las Vegas. (Several hours travel time and about 2 hours on the West rim Indian reservation, included a barbecue lunch.) A native American guided our tour. We returned a few years later and spent two days on the South rim, and enjoyed the spectactular sunrise & sunset.

If you think you'll never go back, take the tour from Las Vegas. Otherwise, plan a dedicated trip there later. However, the Grand Canyon from any angle is awe-inspiring.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Cassandra

Have a GC story you all might enjoy, after I chime in that seeing the GC in midday for a couple of hours isn't worth it unless there's a chance you'll never get back there again to see it at dawn or dusk.

Story: A friend was hosting a group of international visitors for a conference, and they had the choice of a side trip to the GC or Chicago (I think). One Russian fellow originally assigned to the Chicago trip raised a huge fuss about having, absolutely, to see the GC and demanded his assignment be changed. He was equally demanding during the trip and just about wore my friend to a frazzle. Finally, when they all were gathered on the rim overlooking the canyon and there were "ooohs and ahhhs", he was silent and then observed in his thick Russian accent, "Ve haff many such canyons in Russia."

;-)