Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Food/Lodging near Petrified Forest and Grand Canyon?

Oct 8th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

For lodging what looks good so far is the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook and the Grand Canyon Caverns and Inn. Inexpensive and simple is all we need. Any recommendations?

For restaurants we like to explore the local cuisines. We like mom and pop, one of a kind type of place.

Thanks!
Oct 8th, 2009, 02:44 PM

For Grand Canyon you will want to stay at the rim, in the park. go to www.nps.gov click on GC and book a room. There are several places right in the park: Kachina and Thunderbird are motel type places on the rim, Yavapai and Maswick are motel type places a little back from the rim, Bright Angel has cabins and a lodge on the rim, el Tovar is a classic hotel on the rim. There is something special about being able to walk out your door and seeing sunset or sunrise at the canyon and the prices are comparable to motels farther from the rim. If they say they are all booked, take the phone number and keep calling as they get cancellations all the time since many people make reservations way in advance and then find they can't go when the time comes.

Have a great trip
Oct 8th, 2009, 03:43 PM

I love the Wigwam! Can't really recommend a place to eat nearby - we weren't that thrilled with the steakhouse we chose.

Also "inexpensive and simple" is the Cameron Trading Post - and the restaurant there is good and the Navajo Fry Bread is great!

http://www.camerontradingpost.com/
Oct 8th, 2009, 03:58 PM

The Grand Canyons Caverns place looks like a massive tourist trap, and it's more than 120 miles from the Grand Canyon. Why on earth would you want to stay there and have to drive more than 2 hours to GC when you could stay at GC and be able to walk to the rim or on the trails whenever you wanted? Seems like a bad choice to me.
Oct 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I didn't map it out at all at first. It looks like the Tusayan area near the Southern rim is where we should be looking for lodging based on our stops before/after. We need to keep it closer to $100 than $200 per night. I'll check out your recommendations to compare price/location. So far it looks like Bright Angel has the best price/location combination.

Depending on time we might take mule/horse rides to the Havasupai waterfalls. I know there is a lodge there but I don't know if that's where we would want to stay.
Oct 9th, 2009, 12:00 PM

You will want to stay and see the Grand Canyon from the South Rim. Havasu Falls and the Caverns are a pretty good distance from the south rim. have you seen GC before? When are you making this trip? It sounds like you have a lot planned. Carlsbad, Grand Canyon, Royal Gorge, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, and even more. How much time do you have? coordinating that much in advance can be done, but it might get a little tricky. All the places you have mentioned are some of my very favorites.
Oct 11th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

I just started planning this week and have never been further west than San Antonio, so I know very little about where things are located but I am researching and learning. As much as I love caverns, I think we are going to skip Carlsbad and the Grand Canyon caverns, also the Havasu Falls this trip. We'll stay at the Wigwam and then only two days in the Grand Canyon. We've reworked the route a few times...we have about two weeks.

I called Bright Angel today and will probably book there if another couple comes with us. If not, we might camp those two nights.
Oct 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Carlsbad is best in the summer when you can see the bats exit and enter the cave, so keep that in mind for a future visit. Tops on my list would be Bright Angel, I think they have 4 cabins that are pretty much on the rim. Next choice would be El Tovar. Even the cabins @ Bright Angel that aren't directly on the rim are close. I would eat a meal in El Tovar.