Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer quiet or action-packed vacations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:46 AM
dakotah

As someone who lives in a "rural" state, I am curious as to what your criteria for a "good" vacation consists of? Do you prefer cultural/sporting events, large amusement parks, museums, city "feel" - sightseeing trips to view natural settings, wildlife, browsing local shops, local events such as county/street fairs, local artist/antique shows,etc. - Cruises/resorts- Or do you plan for specific times/events such as Fall folliage trips, winter ski trips,etc. This is just my own informal "tourism" survey to see how my home state measures up - as for myself, almost anywhere out of winter weather is my ideal!

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 12:51 PM
teeda

My husband and I both have hectic schedules and travel quite a bit for business, so when it comes to vacations, we love to simply relax. We will try to find a condo or a cabin somewhere with all the aminities and just enjoy the scenery. Our motto on vacation is "we are on no schedule."

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Molly

Active vacations in a laid-back environment. No shopping, except for local arts and crafts. Friendly people. Scenery and nature.
I know what you mean about that winter weather!

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 01:16 PM
me

It is tough to choose - we like both. For example, we love to go to a good museum, but make it a point to hike/ go for long walks on any vacation we are on.

As for your list, I wouldn't generalize too much. I love museums, browsing in local shops and restaurants, but hate amusement parks and art/antique shows. You could say I like the "city" stuff, but not all of the "city" stuff.

Regardless of if I'm spending the day hiking in the black hills or walking down 5th Ave, I like a good restaurant when the day is winding down. That is my only "must".

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:16 PM
kate

tttt

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:27 PM
kal

"Do you prefer quiet or action-packed vacations"

Yes.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Jim Rosenberg

What I like is a drastic change of environment. That leaves many, many possibilities.