Things to do in Salt Lake City, UT Nov 12-18th

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for things to do in Salt Lake City during the week of Nov 12-18th 2016 preferably in the city or nearby where Uber will take us. This will be our first time trip to Utah. We will be visiting some local tourist attractions but would like any feedback on must see places where locals go and places from the off beaten path. We are a biracial couple in our mid 40's, vegetarian, and enjoy nature, art, shopping and City nightlife.
I'm unsure at this time if the nature trails will be unavailable for hiking and unfortunately, my husband doesn't know how to ski nor will attempt it. We are looking for alternative things to do instead. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 02:11 PM

I've only been there once, as I recall, on business, except for skiing when I don't stay downtown. I don't think it's the most exciting place, but I guess you aren't looking for sightseeing ideas but restaurants or something. I wouldn't look for scintillating nightlife in SLC.

If you are interested in history, of course there is the Temple Square where they gives tours of the temple and have a visitors center and some info on the Mormon history and religion.

They have a classic car museum, I always like those. A lot of luxury cars there from the 50s to 70s. http://www.classiccarsintl.net/Classic_Car_Museum.php

otherwise, they seem to have some nature sites, like anatural history and an aquarium. I didn't go to those as we have good ones of those where I live. Their fine arts museum is in the university, as I recall, but closed for remodeling. They have a very good ballet company if you like dance (Ballet West)--they are doing Madame Butterfly during your stay which is a production I've never see (ballet), and the Mormon tabernacle choir is good if you like that kind of thing. They have organ recitals there, also, I think they are free but am not sure. They generally play some religious pieces as well as some secular classical pieces (eg, Bach toccatas).
https://www.mormontabernaclechoir.or...-recitals.html
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 02:46 PM

The only thing I really liked in SLC was the natural history museum. Even though I've visited ones all over the states, the structure and exhibits of the SLC wowed me. And Temple Square is interesting as well of course.

I think you'd need a car for hiking even if it was a good time of year. It struck me as a very car central place.

Otherwise, I'll echo what Christina said. Art, Nightlife and shopping were both disappointing for a city of its size. It's a pity that your husband isn't a skier- pretty much everyone I know in Southern Idaho and Utah are skiiers or snowmobilers so that's pretty much what I've seen of the winter there. On the other hand that seems a little early for skiing anyway.

Why SLC? Business trip, I'm assuming? Otherwise 6 days would be entirely too much for me in SLC without a car.
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 03:23 PM

Hi!

I live in Park City and work in the valley (SLC). I can give you some good ideas if you can tell us what the main purpose of this trip is. Is it business with some city sightseeing on the side? Or do you want to get familiar with SLC itself?

Are you interested in visiting Park City or some of the mountain areas? In 6 days you could also enjoy a National Park or two if you are willing to rent a car as mentioned above.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Well I live in SLC and totally disagree with the first 2 reviewers. Ballet West is currently putting on an amazing show of Madam Butterfly, for example. If you want to know what arts happenings are going on--try www.arttix.com For Nightlife--look at Smithstix, and check out the City Weekly website for bands at bars. The Urban Lounge and the State Room are 2 great music venues.

For Museums--the Natural History Museum is a must do--truly interesting. And to go Red Butte Arborteum which is right next door--very beautiful.

For veggie food--try the Oasis Cafe and Sage Cafe. Any good fine dining place will have veggie options. Pago is amazing as is Handle, SLC.

For hiking, or really getting around, you will want a car. The best places to hike closely in the mountains are Millcreek Canyon or the Cottonwood Canyons. The Cottonwoods have snow up higher but you don't have to hike up that high. You can also walk up Memory Grove/City creek right from downtown. You can google those places and find recommendations for hikes.

Park City has lots of shopping and dining and walking trails and they don't have much, if any, snow right now. Shopping in SLC--try the 9th and 9th neighborhood and City Creek Mall.

If you have 2 days free in that span of time--go to Moab. It's only 4 hours and it is amazing scenery.