Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Salt Lake City and the Great Salt Lake - suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying at Signal Mtn Lodge our last night in tGrand teton national Park. How long does it really take to drive from there to Salt Lake City? Is there a huge advantage to staying in another city before or after Salt Lake? If one of the cities north of SLC is just fine, that would give us a bit more time in GTNP or a longer lunch in Jackson Hole.
(We'll be heading west once we reach Hwy 80).

Any recommendations for one or two places to see in or near SLC for a Californian with a 9 and 12 year old?

Anyone know where that art installment with a curving jetty at the Great Salt Lake is? Any other recommendations for one place to visit at the Great Salt Lake (natural history-type center would be fine).

Thanks!
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 05:03 AM

Is this the art you are referring to? http://www.mccullagh.org/photo/1ds-6...lle-salt-flats If so, just look at the picture online and don't bother driving out there. Most locals don't visit the GSL because it is smelly and has lots of brine flies. Although I have heard a good way to enjoy the lake is to take a cruise on it.

You also may want to visit Antelope Island. http://stateparks.utah.gov/statepark...telope-island/

Your kids would probably enjoy This is the Place Heritage Park. http://stateparks.utah.gov/statepark...-is-the-place/

You could drive back through Logan canyon and spend the night in Logan. I don't think any of the other cities North of Salt Lake are of much interest.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 06:53 AM

I agree that Logan is really the only city of much interest north of SLC and only it because of its proximity to Logan Canyon. It also has a really, really good ice cream store on the campus of Utah State Univ.

There is a half way decent Air Force Museum at Hill Air Force Base at Ogden. They have both an indoor museum and a large outdoor aircraft display. It is certainly worth a couple of hours if you have an interest.

I also agree with the comments regarding the Great Salt Lake. You'll catch a few glimpses of it from I-15 south of Brigam City and for me, that would be plenty.

Another possibility, if you don't mind going a bit out of your way is to stay overnight in Park City instead of SLC. It's a charming little mountain town not too far east of SLC on I-80.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Hi Suz,

I'm always the one that recommend Park City, but dwooddon beat me to it this time. It's not really out of the way if you drive down hwy 89 to Evanston, WY & west on I-80 to Park City.

Lots to see and do. You kids would LOVE the Utah Olympic Park. Olympic Park and Park City Mtn Resort both have zip lines and alpine slides. There is also horseback riding, biking, golf, hiking, you name it.
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM

Antelope Island lets you see the lake and some historical places there (and buffalo too).

Logan has the really cool American West Center and some other attractions--I would recommend it as a place to stay outside SLC.

Park City has fun things to do, as does Snowbird Ski Resort (zip line, rock climbing etc). In the summer it is really nice to stay up in the mountains where it is much cooler--but further to the airport so depends on what you want to do.

If you like dinosaurs--Ogden has a dinosaur park, the University of Utah has the Natural History Museum, but the really great one is down in Lehi at Thanksgiving Point. This is the Place Monument in SLC is fun for living history. The U's Museum of Fine Arts has a fantastic exhibit right now on Native Americans (pre-1900).
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Great Ideas. As to what our plans are after that area, we'll be heading back to the San Francisco Bay area by car. Haven't ever been to that corner of Utah, so I thought spending a day, or part of a day before we high tail it back across Nevada would be nice.

Okay - sounds like the Lake isn't as much of a spot to see as Mono Lake is in eastern CA. Logan and Park City both sound like good options. I assume there are plenty of places to stay in either place and a call on the way south would likely get us a spot at the end of July. And thanks for a few good hints for a place to stop in SLC, including the fantastic native American exhibit. It's good for us west coast folks to get a better feel for some of the history and culture elsewhere in the country. Although ziplines sound good, too. Hmmmmm.

How hard is it to find the ice cream store in Logan at Utah State? Have a favorite flavor?
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

FOund the info on the ice cream store in Logan that you had on another thread. So to answer PART of my own question, and for other's benefit ...
The ice cream store is in the front of the building at 750 N 1200 E on the USU campus.
See http://www.usu.edu/aggieicecream/.

Their web site shows their hours as
May to September October to April
Mon-Fri 9am-10pm Mon-Fri 9am-9pm
Saturday 10am-10pm Saturday 10am-9pm
Sunday Closed

SO what is your favorite summer flavor?
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 04:46 PM

My uncle and my Dad, who are both Aggie alumni - always go by and pick up good, old vanilla for the family reunion! Personally, I like to live a little more dangerously, but it's really, really good vanilla!