Notices

How to spend 5 days on Kauai?

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 06:28 AM
Carol

How to spend 5 days on Kauai?

I am looking for suggestions for Kauai. I love the beach, I like some activities (walking, hiking, snorkling). I enjoy musuems, visiting towns, and shopping. Any suggestions how I can organize my trip? I'm going in November. I just bought the Kauai Ultimate guidebook and there is lots to see/do. Want to figure out my 5 days there. Comments/suggestions please?

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 07:04 AM
aloha

In my opinion the most spectacular scenery is on the north shore. I would spend time at Tunnels-Ha'ena and Ke'e beaches which are all connected. You will probably be able to snorkel there. Ke'e is best early in the morning before everyone drives up from other areas. If you're a good hiker, do part of the Kalalau trail.

It takes longer to drive than you might expect. if there is one area of the island you want to concentrate on, I'd consider staying there to really enjoy it.

For a beach-lover, I'd recommend staying on the north shore and just concentrate on that. It may be rainy, but personally I love walking on the beach in the rain. We have stayed at Hanalei Colony Resort twice and recommend it; it is right on the beach. There are also lots of guest cottages in that area which are easy to find by doing a google search.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:25 AM
Carol

Actually, we're going to stay in the Poipu area (Kuhio Shore). What kind of pricing does the Hanalei Colony Resort have? I'm sort of on a budget when it comes to hotels since one of my biggest expense is the airline tickets.

How long of a drive do you guess to be from Poipu to the N shore?

Thank you.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:42 AM
Sandra

Carol,
I don't know what you are spending for your accommodations in Poipu, but I agree with aloha that the Princeville/Hanalei Bay area of Kauai is the most beautiful. We rented a condo at Pali Ke Kua, right on the cliffs and with an amazing view of Hanalei Bay for about $200/night. that said, this is the rainy side of the island. Poipu is known for being more reliable when it comes to uninterrupted sunshine. But it is also a lot warmer and a lot drier. Another alternative is to stay in the Kapaa-Wailua part of the island. you will be more centrally located and can go either way from there. Here are my top five things to see and do in Kauai: 1) Waimea Canyon 2) Sunset at Bali Hai (Ke'e ) Beach, 3) kayaking or boat ride on the Wailua or Hanalei River, 4) Hike along the Na Pali Coast to Hanakapiai Beach, 5) Dinner at the Princeville Resort (expensive, but worth it).

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 09:48 AM
aloha

I think right now the least expensive unit at Hanalei Colony Resort (gardenview) is about $160. The units have 2 bedrooms so it's really more space than you need for 2 people. I think their web site is hcr.com.

The Kuhio Shores looks really nice, that seems like a great choice.

The Ult. Kaua'i Guidebk says drive time from Po'ipu to Hanalei is 75 min. if traffic is not clogged up. It's another 10-15 minutes to Ke'e. I have a current guide from the Kaua'i visitors' bureau that says 1 hr. and 45 min. total. I think Lihue and Kapa'a are where bottlenecks occur.

You might want to go to coconutpalace.com which is run by a woman who lives on Kaua'i. She also posts frequently on the Hawai'i forum at about.com. She can probably anser questions about how to avoid traffic tie-ups.

From Po'ipu you are very close to the Maha'ulepu area, which is beautiful. We went there in 1998 using the Ult. guidebook directions and recommend spending some time there.

On vacation I prefer not to spend my time driving. I'd rather fully enjoy one place at a time than briefly see a lot of places, so my recommendations are based on that. You might not mind driving as much as I do.

The entire island of Kaua'i is beautiful and I'm sure you will enjoy every minute of it no matter where you go.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 10:03 AM
Sarah

Hi Carol I think you made the best arrangements for November. November is the beginning of the rainy season on Kauai and the North shore is the wetter side of the island.

There are stunning areas around Poipu especially for a hiker. I would rent a jeep and 4wd drive on Polihale beach, incredible at sunset. Just want to be respectful of others and not play on the beach with the car. Saw some tourist doing this thought it interrupted the tranquility here. We did not feel comfortable with 4wd here as we only had a small SUV and getting stuck in the sand looked likely unless you had a jeep. Walking was lovely though. This is the beginning of the Napali coast on the West side. Mountains in the background, a wide spread of beach that moves for miles to the south and of course that great big (non-swimming) ocean. I would explore Kokee park, Awa'awapuhi trail which bleeds into another trail is a great hike. It has a wonderful overlook at the end and you won’t get bombarded with people the way you do on the Napali trail. 4wd will also cut off 3 miles of the Alakai swamp trail, you want to make sure it is a dry day for this. I also love the canyon trail inside the park. All but the first of these trails awards you incredible views all along the way. Check out more on this sight. I would also walk the stretch of trail along the coast (I am guessing also in front of Kuhio Shores). It stretches from a bit south or left of Hyatt Regeancy (AN AMAIZING BIT (cliffs jutting into ocean), to the north right past Poipu beach. I thought it was a lovely walk and just one of many in your area.

http://www.aloha.net/~inazoo/hiking.htm for kokee state park. I stay on the North Shore or near on all my trips but I go in August so the weather is better. This being an El Nino year there have been forecasts for a dry winter.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 11:22 AM
Sarah

Polihale is only about 35 minutes from the information center at Kokee. I hiked the canyon trail only about the first third of the trail then drove down to Polihale. So you can do both of these in one day then top off your day at Roy's, just getting an entree if you are scrimping.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 02:36 PM
Carol

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I'm really looking forward to visiting Kauai! I want to be able to enjoy the island as much as possible as well as having some relaxing times on the beach. Aloha, I'll definitely check with the web site you provided (coconutpalace.com).

Cheers!

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 07:04 PM
aloha

Carol, you may have already discovered that I got the address wrong; it is coconutpalace.net, not .com. I am sorry.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Kealii

I consider the following activities must do's on Kauai:
1. See the Na Pali Coast, either by boat or by helicopter by air the views are spectacular, but the ride is shorter than by boat which also stops and lets you do some snorkeling. Another way to see it is a hike along the Kalalau Trail, though long and sometimes strenuous, it's a fabulous day trip.
2. See the Kalalau Valley from the view above the canyon, and then take the Pihea Trail at the end of the road which goes along the valley rim breathtaking views!
3. Visit / swim in Queen's Bath, a beautiful and fun lava rock tide pool just below the Princeville area.
4. Take a jeep ride up the back roads beyond Keahua Arboretum (west of Wailua) into the tropical jungle areas near Waialeale.
5. Visit Wailua Falls and Kipu Falls the second is much less visited, but has a fun rope to swing into the pool below the falls.
6. If you like gardens, arrange a Monday morning tour of the McBryde NTBG Gardens in Lawai Hundreds of acres of tropical beauty shared by only a few people.
7. Take a drive up the beautiful Hanalei Valley a little way.
8. Great beaches: Poipu, Polihale, Pali Ke Kua, Hanalei Bay, Ke'e sunset at Ke'e can be great!
If you like pizza, be sure to get some at the Brick Oven in Kalaheo the best I've had! Above all, have fun!