Help with rental car and advice on Keys

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Graham

Help with rental car and advice on Keys

My wife and I are going to Miami for a weekend. Flying into Miami,read all the bad reports about Alamo car rental, is it the same in Miami? We are also planning to drive to Key West and back the same day, since we are actually staying in the Miami Beach area. Any suggestions for a budget one day trip to the Keys would be greatly appreciated: Places to eat, where to stop along the way, best sights off road,What i should not miss etc., Traffic, where to park, fees . Thaks in advance, my first trip to the keys.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:24 PM
x

Miami to Key West can be an 8 hour drive round-trip.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:44 PM
xxx

Have to agree - can't do Key West in one day - allow at least 4 hours each way and thats assuming traffic is okay, and without any sightseeing stops along the way. You might just want to head to Key Largo and see the sights there, Pennekamp Park, etc. There is also the Shell Man store, where you can find every Florida souvenior you could ever possibly want.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:49 PM
susan

I agree with the above posts. We've driven between Miami and Key West several times but never in less than 4 hours. When traffic is bad or there's a wreck, it can be MUCH worse.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Postal

Miami to Key West and back in one day is total insanity.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 07:48 AM
xxx

Had friends that decided to do the trip the day before a cruise. Left Miami about 9AM for what they thought was a four hour trip. It started raining. And rained. And rained. They made over the 7 Mile Bridge before they encountered the first wreck. About 35 miles outside Key West they encountered another wreck. The person behind them was rubbernecking and not paying attention and slammed into their car. They finally gave up on the trip about 7PM, turned around, drove back and it took them another five hours. Their one day sightseeing trip to Key West ended up taking 15 hours and they never made it to Key West or got out of the car except to fill out police reports.