Day trip from Miami to Florida Keys

Old Jan 25th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip from Miami to Florida Keys

My daughter and I are considering a trip to Miami Beach beginning of March. Is a day trip to the Keys feasible or would you generally overnight? What sort of time frame would be involved and any recommended stops enroute? What is the weather generally like at that time of year? Thanks to all.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Under the best of conditions and with no wrecks along the way, it's a 4 hour trip down to Key West from Miami. The road is two-lane a lot of it is in a no passing zone. So if you want to go that far, I'd certainly recommend staying at least one night, maybe more.

I'm really biased in favor of Key West over the other keys, so we prefer to fly directly in rather than make the long drive down. Having said that, if I were going to stop in another key, it'd be Islamorada, which is about half-way down to Key West.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 06:20 AM
cd

I agree with Susan. Stay at least overnight, it is a beautiful drive and maybe stop at Bahia Honda Park and John Penecamp State park, one on the way down and the other on the way back. http://www.pennekamppark.com/
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 06:46 AM

When We lived in the Miami area we would make day trips to KW often. A wonderful drive.. But.. It makes for a very long day. It would be best to stay overnight.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 07:28 AM

March will be hot.

What is it you want to do in the keys? Key Largo would be the shortest distance from you but unless you dive, fish, or boat, you are going to find the keys very boring except for Key West.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Key West but that is where all the activities are for the keys and it is a lovely town.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

We are coming from Canada - it is -30 Celsius this morning so hot is fine by me. As far as what to do, mostly I was interested in the drive itself, seeing the scenery. We don't dive, fish or boat (unless possibly a couple hour boat tour). Assuming we overnight in Key West, what is there to do there and does anyone has suggestions on where to stay for $200/night max?
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 06:47 AM
cd

Nickity, as I stated above the drive is beautiful and stopping along the way will take you longer to reach Key West but worth your time! I would give the Anhinga Trail about an hour :http://www.planetware.com/florida/ev...l-us-fl-at.htm and then Bahia Honda some time http://www.floridastateparks.org/bahiahonda/ getting you to Key West late afternoon. Walk the town, maybe take a trolley tour and be sure to catch the sunset at Mallory Square, it is always a celebration! Be sure to stay in Old Town and you can walk everywhere!

The next day I would suggest a sail boat tour from the marina. We took the Appledore and had a great time. Driving back to Miami, you could stop at John Penecamp State Park that I recommended above if you have time.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 07:00 AM

The activities and stops during the drive are much of the pleasure of a journey through the Keys. I agree with other posters, that making this an overnight is the correct plan.
Key West has great character and charm, but racing through the Keys to get to KW is missing much of the best part.

You should search the forum for previous threads that provide more detail about where to stop.

Very quickly, my own favorites are World Wide Sportsman and Robbies in Islamorada. Walking the pedestrian bridge at Seven Mile. Bahia Honda. Excellent meal stops en route include Lorelei and Lazy Daze in Islamorada. City Fish Market and Seven Mile Cafe in Marathon. Mangrove Mamas in mm 21.

March is after snow bird peak, but the beginning of spring break. You may get less than high season prices, but no bargains. Check the mid-price chains: Hampton, Courtyard, Fairfield, Comfort, and Holiday Inn.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 09:47 PM

fort zach has a nice beach.but if you come to key west get on the water somehow.depending on when you are coming it might be a good idea to make reservations
rick in key west