How do we get upgraded?

Apr 21st, 2003, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

How do we get upgraded?

We're going on our honeymoon to Maui in a few weeks. We're staying at the Hyatt and booked the least expensive room category.
Everybody keeps telling me to ask for a upgrade since it's our honeymoon. (First of all, I realize how popular Hawaii is for honeymooners and there will be a LOT of people on their honeymoon. )

My dumb question is this:
How do I go about asking for an upgrade?

Do I just ask the reservations person when I check in? Do I tell them we're on our honeymoon? What's the best way to go about this?

Thanks for the help. I know there are a lot of experienced travelers here and I'm just looking for the inside scoop!
Apr 21st, 2003, 10:35 AM
GoTravel

I would call the hotel and let them know it is your honeymoon. Also when you check in, let them know it is your honeymoon.

Keep in mind the month of May and first couple of weeks in June are HUGE wedding times and the hotel may already be full of honeymooners. Your best bet for getting a good room is to pay for it.

Do you have anyone you know well that are Hyatt Gold Passport Members? They may be willing to donate points for an ugrade. Also, join Hyatt Gold Passport. That will help you get an ugrade if available.

Apr 21st, 2003, 12:07 PM

My husband and I just returned from the Hyatt in Maui. We got upgraded the last 3 nights for $50.00 per night. They were booked the rest of the time so it is a chance you have to take. We asked for the upgrade before we got there and again when we got there. They put us on a list but we checked back occasionally anyway. We had a great room #877. It was facing west and we could see the pool, the grounds and the ocean. The sunsets were great too. They have a blackout curtain for those sunny afternoons.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:40 AM

Call before you leave & tell them you're on your honeymoon & "anything they can do for you would be most appreciated". That usually works as long as they have space available.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:28 PM

I second the suggestion of joining Hyatt's Gold Passport program. That will make it look like you're at least interested in their hotel chain.

You could always call the day before you arrive and ask for the manager. Explain about your honeymoon and ask if it's possible to get an upgraded room.
Also, check online before you call the mgr. to see what rooms are still available at the hotel. That way you can tell the mgr. that you see they still have oceanview rooms/suites/etc. left and that if they haven't booked them would that be possible?

I wish you the best of luck!

Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:50 PM

Since you've booked the least expensive room, everything will depend upon how full the hotel happens to be (or is expecting to be during your nights) when you check in. And, you shouldn't, necessarily, expect to be upgraded for no additional charge.

Joining the "Gold Passport Program" won't really help, since they'll be able to tell, on the spot, whether you're a "frequent" customer, or not.

All in all, you should go ahead and ask when you check in (you just never know), and determine ahead of time whether any additional features are worth, to you, any additional charge (if there is one), along with knowing ahead of time what the additional charge would have been had you booked that sort of room initially.

Better yet, one "technique" I've used is printing out their "online photos". Once we're deposited in our room, if it's nothing like what's "depicted", I just advise the bellhop (often they can take care of this for you) or phone the front desk immediately and tell them "this is NOT what I was expecting based upon your brochure, website...!"
Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:56 PM

Joining the Gold Passport program which is free and can be done on the Hyatt website IS a good idea. It really doesn't matter much if you are a frequent guest or not. Gold Passport members are the first in line to be given free upgrades when they are available. And at least you will get a bottle of wine or some other bonus.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:21 AM
GoTravel

Since as few as 12,000 points can get you a free room on Hyatt's Gold Passport program, you should at least earn enough points for a free night someplace.

djk, I disagree with it not mattering whether or not the OP is a Gold Passport member.

Apr 29th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I try calling the night before & let them know. I checked online and it doesn't look like they're very full. (all categories still available for the entire time).

Apr 29th, 2003, 03:23 PM

Tell the front desk people you were the star in "Girls Gone Wild." That should do it...
Apr 29th, 2003, 05:10 PM

Our family of 4 just returned last week from the Maui Hyatt. We were on a Priceline Reservation and it was the week before Easter so I didn't have high hopes for an upgrade although the Hyatt is known for this at that location. I faxed the room controller a week before I left and attached my new Hyatt Gold passport to my reservation online. In my fax I was EXTREMELY nice and mentioned that we were celebrating 2 birthdays which was true ands would appreciate anything that they could do for us. There are parking lot views there and we were upgraded to the 20th floor, partial ocean view. As a sidebar- I needed to call the front desk after my arrival home on Easter Sunday and I spoke with the most pleasant man who said that he tries to upgrade as much as possible but will always upgrade the pleasant person over the demanding, "squeaky wheel." I was at the front desk one day when a man with small children who admitted to booking the least expensive room was yelling at the desk clerk. The manager came out from the back and told the man he would absolutely NOT be upgraded. We are frequently upgraded and I swear by the honest, upbeat,pleasant aproach. Susan