Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Our 10 year anniversary trip has just become our honeymoon!

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who would have thought that applying for a passport would lead me to discover my marriage of soon to be 10 years, was never registered.

Due to a mistake 10 years ago, our marriage paperwork was filed in the too hard basket at the Births,Deaths and Marriages office, and was forgotten about until now when I need the registered certificate to get my passport.

I am fast running out of time before my April trip, so the registry found the old paperwork and finally registered my marriage on 5 Feb 2007, just short of 10 years later.

If all goes well actually obtaining a passport, we will look forward to 'honeymooning' in Paris for our unofficial 10 year anniversary.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:55 PM

What a great story! Is this in the U.S.? What do your parents think about you "living in sin?!" What other ramifications have you encountered due to this bureaucratic snafu?

I love that you consider this an opportunity for another honeymoon. Hope it's very special! And congrats on your recent marriage!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:03 PM
ComfyShoes

Tekwriter said it all for me.

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Got any illegitimate child or children?
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

We live in a smallish town in Australia. It didn't take long for the news to spread. My husband's(or partner in sin), first word was yahoo! before reassuring me that he would marry me again if need be.

I had booked all of our travel in my married name, and obviously panicked when B,D&M told me I had to apply for a passport under my maiden name.

I know I should have waited until I had my passport to book everything, but I was running out of time, and not actually being who I thought I was had never occured to me.

Anyway,the kids weren't worried, the certificate has turned up and now hopefully everything will go smoothly getting the pasport.

My husband(as we are legal now), is very excited about the whole honeymoon concept. I just hope we have time to sightsee.