Hotels close to the Moscone Center in San Fran

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a trade show to attend in a few weeks at the Moscone Center and have tentatively booked a room at the Sir Francis Drake. Anyone have any comments on the hotel, others that may be better, location to my facility?

Thanks!
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:45 PM
SAB

II'm sure you will get the usual don't stay in Union Square comments with regard to the Drake but in aswer to your question I believe a Marriott, W and Hotel Palomar are probably the 3 hotels closest to Moscone i.e. within 1 block.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:54 PM

Of the three check out W and the Palomar..unless you can get a really good deal at the Marriot.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:55 PM

PS..the Sir Francis Drake is in Union Square and not really in quick walking distance to Moscone. Unless you are feeling that you want to hoof it(significantly) you will have to take a cab.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

I booked this because it's one of the hotels offered thru the conference. I don't mind cabbing but I don't think my company will pick up my tab at the W. Maybe I'll get lucky with priceline though!

I'm from Seattle, use to Pioneer Square- homeless, bars, etc. What is the deal with Union Square area? Is it really bad? Should I check into another area all together since I'll be cabbing anyway?
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 10:06 PM
SAB

If I tell you that Union Square is OK and that numerous travellers have stayed in hotels there without consequence, there will be posts from certain posters telling you, strike that warning you, not to and detailing a list of horrors and suggesting that anyone who believes otherwise must be a schill for the SF tourist board. So I suggest that you read the many and sometime vituperative posts on this topic and hopefully they can provide you with an answer.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 10:15 PM

Another nice hotel very close (1.5 blocks away) is the Argent, formerly ANA Hotel. It is on 3rd St and Mission.

The Union Square area is fine. There is the Macy and Saks Fifth Avenue store as well as the St. Francis Hotel. However, southwest of Union Square is slightly run down but not that bad. The Hilton is near this area. The drug area is farther away (12-15 blocks away) in the Tenderloin area.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 01:13 AM

Depending on your hours at the conference, IMHO, it would be preferable to stay at the Marriot or the Argent, both basically across the street from Moscone. The other hotels are fine, but these two are so much more practical. You couldn't be any closer.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 01:56 AM

I stayed in Union Square several years ago while at a conference at the Moscone Center. The walk's not that long, and I found it quite enjoyable. It was my first time in the City, and I enjoyed being Joe Tourist, as well.

My wife and I stayed at the Sir Francis Drake about 18 month ago. The cable car stops right out front--we enjoyed that and found it quite handy. Rooms are a bit small, but we weren't in town to hang-out in the hotel, so we didn't mind. Union Square's a great location, and I'd go back in a flash!
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 08:13 AM

I am not routinely a "basher" of Union Square however, since you know Pioneer Square, I'd say Union Square is a bit more impacted by it all than Pioneer Square is.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 08:22 AM

Th SFD is a historic property offering adequate but not particularly spacious rooms and a great customer service orientation among the staff. The property offers a terrific little coffe chop (coffee, deli menu, good pastry) called Cafe Espresso and a good Italian restaurant, Scala's Bistro. You can check it out at http://www.sirfrancisdrake.com/
The location is fine, just out of the midst of the throngs of conventioneers but close enough to easily walk the six or seven blocks or cab to the Moscone.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 01:04 PM

Be sure to take a picture with Tom the "beefeater" while at the Drake. He is a San Francisco legend in his own!
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

So I've got the reservation for the Drake (max my co. will let me pay for a room) but am going to do some bidding on Priceline, I'm assuming that Union Square East Embarcadero is the preferred area vs. US West?
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:38 PM
SAB

Yes -- the Hyatt Embarcadero would be a good location, easy access to all kinds of transportation plus it is big in the convention business, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is a big convention to find a shuttle of some sort running to Moscone.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

ok, I just got the Hyatt for $50 per night. Very happy with that price! How is the hotel?
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:35 PM

Good going, Wendy. It's a big hotel, with a beautiful atrium lobby. Rooms are typical Hyatt, maybe a little nicer. Ask for a room with a view of the Bay or the city--both are nice.

If you have some free time, head to Yank Sing for dim sum. Open from 11ish to 3ish. It's very close to the hotel. Someone at the desk can give you directions. Another "don't miss" site, if you're a foodie or just like to eat, is the new brand new Ferry Building Market just across the street from the Hyatt, toward the Bay. It might be a good place to grab some breakfast before you go to Moscone.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Betsy! Any other places to eat that will be comfortable for someone traveling alone?

How about unique boutiques for shopping (clothes)?

Wendy
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

topping to see if anyone can recommend a comfortable restuarant to eat on my own, I would love a nice restaurant that offered dining in their bar for this. I'm a foodie so any cuisine is great!
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 05:12 PM

Wendy: Might want to check on chowhound.com. Loads of info about food in the City on their San Francisco board.