Search

Hotels by Downtown Disney

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Suz
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels by Downtown Disney

Are there any resorts or nice hotels close to Downtown Disney? Also, what is Pleasure Island like?
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 12:07 PM

You may want to check out www.mousesavers.com This site has a ton of info and great ways to save $$. Many great Downtown Disney resorts .. with great mousesavers prices.

Sorry have not been to Pleasure Island ... only to the "worlds".
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 02:40 PM

As I recall most of the hotels near Downtown Disney are chain hotels - go to the Disney site and look them up. We stayed at Courtyard Marriot and liked it. The transportation is a little different for those hotels than Disney hotels but still good.

Pleasure Island is a street of bars/clubs. There is a variety of clubs; there is a comedy club, a English type pub with a musical/comedy act and a western club that plays country music, a rock club etc. I am not someone who deals well with drunk people and don't drink. I had a good time. The comedy was funny - adult disney rated. I danced a bit in the 'rock' club. Didn't feel pressured to buy a drink, and I didn't feel awkward. It is smokey but they were clean and safe. Overall for a non-club-goer I had a great time. They are "Disney clubs".
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 03:31 PM

Pleasure Island is not for families with kids--it's all about adult-oriented nightlife--clubs, bars, dancing. Last time we went (before kids), they had a New Year's Eve street celebration every night of the year, complete with the countdown to midnight and Auld Lang Syne song. Disney fantasy party.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 11:33 PM

Hi,
There are several resorts around Disney
email me :
[email protected]
I can help.
Thank you
Zeevdl
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 06:01 AM

zeevdl, this board is all about helping each other. Why don't you list some of the resorts here so that we can all benefit from your knowledge?
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to www.disboards.com for all WDW information. I know there are about five "Downtown Disney" hotels, but can't remember all the names. You will find them at the Dis boards.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 06:34 AM

Based on your question, I am assuming that you don't want to stay on Disney property. Because if someone asked me where to stay near Downtown Disney, I would suggest Old Key West, a Disney property. Obviously one of the main advantages is the ease of getting around using Disney transportation rather than trying to find a place to park and having to take a shuttle and perhaps having to pay $5-10 dollars a day to park.

If we are talking about non-Disney properties, you might want to look at the Hilton, which is within walking distance to Downtown Disney. This is the Hilton with the Benihana in the lobby. I'm not sure of the address.

I noticed that another posting mentioned the Courtyard Marriott. There is a Marriott Village that is about a mile or two from Downtown Disney. The hotels in Marriott Village include the Courtyard, Fairfield Inn and Spring Hill Suites. I stayed at the Spring Hill Suites when I was there a few weeks ago. It was clean, VERY inexpensive and they provide a continental breakfast. There is a shuttle bus provided to various parks for a fee. The transportation does not include evening departures to Pleasure Island.

I think one of the other messages explains Pleasure Island well. It's fun. You will pay about $20-$25 to get in unless you have some type of "Park Hopper Plus Pass" that includes entry to Pleasure Island. Some people don't like a cover charge that is quite that high.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 03:04 PM

The Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is a very nice resort that's close to Downtown Disney. I'm not sure if you could walk it but only a few minutes by car.

The Grand Cypress has a wonderful pool and great amenities (golf course, lake for canoeing, bike rentals, etc.).
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 10:36 PM

About three years ago, we stayed at a hotel right by Downtown Disney. I forget the name--Grovesnor, perhaps (sp)? Do not stay there! I do not recommend it. It's the hotel that's right next to Downtown Disney (walking distance). Our toilet was clogged, so they moved us to another room. The toilet got clogged there, too. In the meantime, we wasted one whole morning packing and unpacking our things so we can change rooms when we could have been enjoying Disneyworld. One whole morning wasted. And all we got was an apology, nothing more! What customer service...
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 05:20 AM

The Hilton at Disney Village is right across the street from DTD. I got a good rate for a stay last month (...$60 night) on priceline, and the clerk said they have lots of priceline customers in that hotel. I requested a "resort" property....and while it wasn't quite in the league with the better Disney resorts (Beach Club's our favorite) the hotel was clean and service was good. If you're traveling with children, check out Disney Quest in Downtown Disney....it's a big indoor theme park with virtual rides. I was there a few weeks ago with a group of young teens and we all loved it. There's also Cirque du Soliel, Legoland, boating/water activities and several other fun things for families. Pleasure Island is really not designed for kids though anyone can walk through the area without a ticket up until around 7pm when the bands start.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 07:27 AM

There are 7 hotels in Downtown Disney.

Grosvenor Resort
Hotel Royal Palace
Doubletree Guest Suites
Courtyard
Best Western LBV
Hilton
Wyndham Palace Resort and Spa

Check the rants and raves section on Fodor's Travel Talk home for reviews or go to mousesavers.com for reviews and discounts.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 12:42 PM

Check out www.wdwig.com for great info and trip reports. I LOVE Pleasure Island, my favorite club with the best shows, and appropriate for family of all ages, is The Adventurers Club, check out details at wdwig.com I also recommend Disney Quest at Downtown Disney, separate admission but great fun for preteens and teens and video game fans, also stop by the Lego store to see the fantastic Lego creations that are all around it. www.hotelkingdom.com also has some good deals on orlando hotels.