Search

Hotels around D.C.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels around D.C.

We are going to D.C. at the end of march and we are looking for not to expensive hotel, since we would only sleep there and it is only for 2 nights. We thought not driving into D.C. so the area we are looking for would be Alexandria or Arlington, I guess.
Thanks for any suggestions
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM

That sounds okay as long as you truly understand where the hotel is. Arlington is a county, and Alexandria is a very large area that straddles two counties and there are places in it that are sort of in the middle of nowhere (at least as far as a tourist is concerned). I would say that more for Alexandria than Arlington. There are areas in both that are not near a metro station.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:58 AM

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Alexandria which is located at the intersection of I-95 and Telegraph Road in Alexandria and believe that it would meet your qualifications. This facility offers free outdoor parking and is located within a quarter mile of the Eisenhower metro station, making it easily walkable. I felt that this facility had more of a business feel to it than tourist and the lower rates on weekends ($35+) would seem to confirm that. It took about 1/2 hour to get into the Mall on the metro, but as tourists, we enjoyed seeing the sights along the way.... There's also a decent restaurant onsite.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

I found the Comfort Inn Landmark at Duke Metro station , Alexandria.
Does anyone know if it is good (just for sleeping)/clean?
Thanks
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:39 PM

I'd suggest Crystal City--it is an easy metro ride into DC and all the big chains are there.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 03:08 AM

I'm a bit confused as I couldn't locate a 'Duke' Metro station, although the Comfort Inn Landmark website indicates that they offer free shuttle service to and from the Van Dorn Street Station. As a mom, my major concern with this choice is that the Van Dorn Metro Station appears to be located adjacent to an industrial park, a potentially dangerous place to wait for a shuttle bus after dark during low tourist season. Perhaps a better choice in the same price range would be the Econo Lodge at the Naylorrd Road Station on the Green Line. Although the facility doesn't appear to be quite as nice as the Comfort Inn you inquired about, it appears to be easily walkable from the metro. On the other hand, it's location within 4 miles of Andrews Air Force Base, could be a negative on the weekend? Hopefully someone more familar with the area will get back to us on that.

Here's the link that I gave you previously when you posted under a different screen name. http://www.stationmasters.com/System...ystem_map.html
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Sorry mixed the metro station with the Street name.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 10:24 AM

That's in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't even consider it myself.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM

You might consider staying in the Rosslyn area of Arlington. It has a Metro stop and you can walk across Key Bridge into Georgetown.

Another possibility might be the Hilton Garden Inn near the Courthouse Metro in Arlington.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 07:23 PM

We've stayed several times at the Embassy Suites in Old Town Alexandria. It is right across the street from the King Street Metro Station. And of course there's a wonderful breakfast and happy hour is included with the room. It's also gotten excellent reviews at www.tripadvisor.com .
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:21 PM

I think retired Teacher is referring to the Holiday Inn on Eisenhower Avenue. It's very close to the metro stop--you can see it from the hotel. There's also a movie theater and some restaurants across the street.

Based on what you've said, Juli07, this would meet your requirements perfectly. And you'll also be less than 2 miles from Old Town Alexandria. It's a straight shot down Eisenhower, which will take you to Duke Street after a small traffic circle, or you can take the bus.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 04:45 AM

Yes, the Holiday Inn that I recommended is located on Eisenhower Avenue just off the outer beltway and within sight of the metro. It's hotel #8 on the following link: http://www.holidayinnwashingtondc.com/
I understand that Juli is looking for economical accommodations and while this facility is coming in at about $15 more per night than the Comfort Inn that she inquired about on weekends in late March, I think that it would be worth the difference for the convenience/safety factor.

Juli, this location would allow you to come and go according to the metro schedule and not have to depend upon the additional restrictions imposed by a hotel's shuttle service. My fear (as a mom and as a senior citizen) is that there is crime in DC. If coming back late at night, you might have the misfortune to be followed off the train and mugged while waiting for the hotel shuttle at the Van Dorn metro stop. I believe that having the ability to walk to your hotel will keep you safer.