Best Location for Washington, DC hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving to Washington for a long weekend in early May. We really have no idea of where to stay. We want to park the car and travel by foot and metro. We also understand that May is a major "school trip" month so we'd like to avoid hotels which would tend to have a lot of school groups. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 10:39 AM

I recommend staying in Arlington, Virginia. It's very close to Georgetown. Metro-accessible. Probably only a 5 minute metro ride to DC. You can even walk from Arlington to Georgetown - depends where in Arlington you stay. Hotel prices will be more affordable than staying in DC and parking will be a lot easier. May is a great month to visit DC! Don't know if there is a time of the year when you will avoid student groups visiting! Good luck with your planning.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 02:44 AM

We went July 2007 and probably stayed as far out on the Metro line as we could be (I believe there was only one stop after ours). If I were making plans now I would stay at Old Town Alexandria, there is an Embassy Suites and another large hotel, several returants and "Old Town" right there, and you are just steps from the Metro. Although the metro stations have parking lots, some are small and almost always full, most hotels have shuttles, but then you have to wait for the shuttle, and when we went it was a holiday and the shuttles didn't run after the fireworks, so we had to take a cab after we got off the metro.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 03:54 AM

Agree that Old Town is nice but to me it's for a trip in itself. For hotels nearest DC tourist sites, below is something I found online showing hotels that are within walking distance. You'd need to check with them about parking. Also, hub and I spent our honeymoon in a Hyatt somewhat near Union Station. It may have changed names by now.

http://washington.dc.hotelguide.net/...ton_dc_map.htm
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 04:06 AM

Look here:

http://www.stationmasters.com/System...ystem_map.html

Click on a central metro station, such as Gallery Place, Metro CEnter, or Dupont Circle. Then click on a hotel. The maps clearly show how far the hotels are from the Metro as well as major tourits attractions.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all of your advice. I'll be checking all of these out.