Salem Mass. for Halloween 2009

Old Sep 25th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Salem Mass. for Halloween 2009

I say it's never too early to start planning the next vacation. My group of friends and I have decided on where to go, (see title of post) and I figured I would go ahead and throw our general ideas out there and see what you guys think.

We all love Halloween so much we figured what better way to enjoy it than to take a trip to Salem during Halloween week. Our thought was that it's kind of like being in New York for New Years.

Here is a general list of interests shared among our group:
1. Historical tours/locations
2. Haunted houses
3. Ghost tours
4. Light houses
5. Antiques

I'm sure theres more than this, but can't think of all of our interests. We are definitely open to suggestion. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 09:51 AM

Four of us spent a long weekend in Salem a couple of years ago. It was great fun to have our picture taken dressed as witches. There's a small photo studio in a small mall in the downtown area. Business might be brisk that week. I think it took at least an hour for us to dress and pose. We were disappointed in the ghost tour since a few years ago we went on a terrific on in New Orleans. I think the one in New Orleans gave us much more historical background. Get tickets for the Chinese House at the Peabody Essex museum and make sure you choose one that is led by a docent. We skipped some of the other tourist places simply because we had done them before. Haven't tried a haunted house but I imagine it would be plenty scary. Assume you mean the ones put on with actors.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 08:29 PM

I spent the weekend before Halloween in Salem a few years ago. You should try to check out the House of the Seven Gables, the actual house that inspired the book by Nathaniel Hawthorne. We didn't make in in because the lines were too long that week.

We checked out an outdoor reenactment of the witch trials, and we visited the memorial to the people that were put to death, which was very moving.

At night we dressed up in costume and went out to the bars and had a blast.

At the water there are some plaques describing the whaling trade.

As it happens, this year I am visiting a friend up in MA the weekend before Halloween and we are going to spend the day in Salem. I can post back here if I learn anything new. You will have a blast when you go there!
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

sunny16,

I hadn't seen an update from your last post. How did this years trip turn out?
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 04:34 AM

http://www.bostoncentral.com/events/...stle/p1072.php

http://www.thecabinet.com/darkdestin...hammond_castle

jewels_02: I would highly recommend you include a visit to Gloucester and go to the Hammond Castle haunted house; they do it right. The castle itself is very impressive. It will be very memorable! Check out the links above. You can rent a car and drive through Essex (amazing antiquing) to go to Gloucester. It is beautiful and picturesque and make sure you go to Farnham's in Essex for the best fresh (not too expensive) chowder, fried clams or broiled fish).
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:28 AM

Be prepared for crowds. The events around Halloween in Salem are becoming increasingly popular and crowd control is an issue.

Halibut Point State Park would be a nice place for a hike or picnic on the rocks. On a clear day you can see up the coast of Massachusetts and as far as Maine.

If you have a car drive up Rt1a through Hamilton (horse country), Ipswich, Rowley to Newburyport. You'll pass antique stores, clam shacks, salt marshes etc. Newburyport is a worthy destination with lovely shops, art galleries and resaurants.

If you want to see long stretches of beach head to Plum Island.

The North Shore has a lot to offer. Enjoy your trip.