Hotels and guidance in Moab

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Hotels and guidance in Moab

I would appreciate any guidance on hotels in Moab, Utah. I am flying in on a Friday and meeting a group on Saturday for a week long camping trip. Returning to Moab the next Friday and flying out early Saturday morning.
Are there any hotels that are "centrally" located-- as central as something can be in such a small town. I just found out the airport is 20 miles away. Since we will be camping for a week, I don't want to rent a car but would also prefer not to spend hours driving around in a cab. Are there even cabs there??
Our time in the hotel will be really limited so we don't want to splurge on Sorrell Resort-- would prefer to keep it under $100 a night.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 09:02 PM

I didn't realize that Moab had an airport. All I've seen is a small landing strip that looks like it is for private planes. 20 miles north of town sounds about right. I don't remember any lodging nearby, and I don't think you'll want to stay near the airport if you plan to go to any restaurants. Your best bet is to call whatever hotel you choose and ask them about transportation. I've stayed at the Best Western Canyonlands (okay), and my parents liked the Comfort Suites; around $80-100 was the going rate when we each took trips to Moab last year.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 08:04 AM

call up discovermoab.com
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Hello KC,

First, there are no cabs in Moab.
A "centrally located hotel" is irrelevant since it's such a small town. There are several Motel Six type places.

If you are flying in and the airport is 20 miles away, you must be flying into Green River, UT. If you are camping with a tour company, can't they retrieve you from the airport? Where are you camping? Won't you need a vehicle?

There is a small airport closer to Moab, called Canyonlands airport. Only charter service in/out from there for travel and sightseeing flights. No lodging nearby.

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:29 PM

I just returned from Moab, where my husband and I stayed at the Gonzo Inn. We splurged somewhat on a Gecko Suite, but I believe they have smaller rooms around $100.00. The hotel is modern and unique. It is within a short walk of most Moab eateries (1-2 blocks), and shopes, as it sits just off of Main Street.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:36 PM

check out the AArchway Inn for very reasonable prices. 1 800-341-9359. I have three nights booked there in October.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 07:39 PM

We recently enjoyed our stay at the Aarchway Inn but it really is at the end of town. Although the town is not large, I think the Inn is too far for easy walking to restaurants, shops, etc. I remember seeing a Best Western centrally located and there are many other hotels as well.